The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Value of some brake hoses (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155970)

clayran 07-12-2019 05:23 PM

Value of some brake hoses

Hi,
I've been a member of this site for a few years but usually just search without signing in. I'm not trying to sell an item here but would like the members opinion if I'm out of line on my price and what they think is fair. I had offered the items to a couple of high end sellers who either ignored me or said I was crazy in so many words. Okay the items are 2 original '69 Camaro(may fit other GM prod) front disc brake hoses in their original GM wrappers. The part number on the wrappers is 3953294. This part number is listed in the ’69 Camaro assembly manual, page 259, upc J52 A1 item 2, and they have the red lettering, red stripes & rings where the straps attach. I truly believe these should go on a very high end car, i.e. Yenko, COPO, Z/28, etc, where it will be displayed with the wheel off exposing the brake parts. My price was $1800.00 due to being rare. That part is the one in the manual how rare is that. Now I'm not a person who discovered these at a swap meet & wants to make a score, I bought these over 20 years ago as just spare parts for my collector car. I'm now 76 years old and so my need isn't there anymore. I discovered the hoses while going thru my boxes of parts. So if the price is out of line, what do you think is fair? I respect your opinion. clayran

SS427 07-12-2019 06:49 PM

The fact that some people have ignored you or told you that you were crazy may be a clue. There is nothing wrong with making a buck let alone a nice profit on your parts, heck isn't that what most of us do every day. However, there is a difference between making a profit and asking for ransom money. That being said, if someone is willing to pay the price you are asking, who are we to say you are crazy. I paid some pretty crazy prices for some of the parts for our Chevelle restoration but I chose to do so because I wanted that quality or rarity of a part and since some were unobtainable I paid the price. Once I write the check it is hard for me to call someone a thief. The only time I really frown on some of the prices I see are when the people selling them are in the hobby and selling amongst their friends and fellow enthusiasts. If the buyer is obtaining the part for his own restoration than its nice to see the parts go to them for a reasonable profit and not gouging. Make a profit yes but try and take advantage of friends? No. The old saying comes to play here, there is a butt for every seat. If you can find it more power to you. Just remember that if you (the general public who is selling) needs help with technical advice or restorations service, what goes around comes around and very few seem to remember that.

My advice, sell it on ebay for that kind of asking price but if you are here because you love the hobby and are friends with those that are members here, make a nice profit but don't take advantage of them.

X66 714 07-12-2019 07:58 PM

Nicely said Rick...Joe

x77-69z28 07-12-2019 11:39 PM

Amen!

Kurt S 07-13-2019 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayran (Post 1454856)
That part is the one in the manual how rare is that. I bought these over 20 years ago as just spare parts for my collector car.

It's not uncommon for a part # to be the same for a number of years. Especially if it's unique and thus not supercedable.
20 year old parts may not be the same as 50 year old assembly line parts. Do they have one or two crimps where the metal is crimped to the rubber?

clayran 07-13-2019 06:15 AM

Kurt, they are single crimp & I bought them over 20 years ago but I believe they are 50 years old because the part number is in the '69 assembly manual & I'm sure the number changed sometime along the way. But let me repeat I'm not trying to sell them here just wanted a opinion on my price and what would be a fair price.

the427king 07-13-2019 07:53 PM

Clayran, I'd say there are more restored camaros out there with 2000.00 door weather strips and 1500.00 trunk weather strips than there are with red stripe first design brake hoses. By doing a Google search there are at least 4 people right now selling weatherstrips. I havent seen a set of red hoses for sale in a while . Not sure exactly what the hoses are worth, but there is no shame in asking what you are and trying to get opinions if you are high. You will find the value of your parts by putting them on ebay and putting a make offer option. They may take 3 to 6 months to sell or they may sell right away . Either way you'll have your answer ... Good luck with the sale

firstgenaddict 07-21-2019 05:51 PM

I usually go with the thinking of what would it cost me to replace an item...

If you bought something below market value - savvy buyer - you are under no obligation to sell the item for less than the current market will bear.
I do know that I have yet to find a buyer who had enough sympathy to offer me a profit above and beyond when I overpaid for a part.

purple panther 07-23-2019 10:56 PM

hosed

put them on ebay and you will find out what the market says