The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   AMD vs NOS (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151353)

chris slawski 10-17-2018 04:33 PM

AMD vs NOS

I have an opportunity to get a pair of NOS quarters and tail light panel for my 69 Camaro project. It is a nothing car, not a Z, or even factory V8 car, as I wanted something if I built it my way was not thinning the herd of worthy restoration candidates.

The NOS panels are old and have some heavy surface scale on the inside and outside.

So the question is for my project would there be a huge fitment and alignment issue from using the latest AMD panels VS the old NOS panels. I know there are some aftermarket panels, that have some challenges so I wanted to be specific in which I am thinking of using.

Thanks.

m22mike 10-18-2018 01:39 AM

I hung one pair of AMD quarter panels on a 69 Camaro, had to make one minor adjustment to the R/H one to the upper trunk gap. There fine Imo.
I have used a bunch of AMD on a 69 Chevelle. Zero issues.
All the AMD I have used is full gage too.

Mike

ban617 10-18-2018 01:55 AM

Mike , have you used AMD fenders on a 69 Camaro? Interested in fitment v/s Nos ..

Thanks

m22mike 10-18-2018 11:36 AM

Have not.
Mike

chris slawski 10-18-2018 01:03 PM

Thank you for the info!

firstgenaddict 10-28-2018 01:41 PM

There is a shop local who has a surface plate with all tooling to completely repanel a complete first gen F body, I asked him about the quarter fitment - he explained that the recess where the quarter meets the rear tail pan needs VERY little massaging in the curve that meets the tail pan... and then showed me. I was asking about the trunk gap and people sectioning the top of the quarter to get the gap correct. He said the pocket where the tail pan meets the quarter must be very slightly massaged with a body hammer then the quarter fits up perfectly...
They will completely repanel and gap the body for 13k and have it done in 2-3 weeks.

KNAPPY 10-29-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstgenaddict (Post 1419396)
There is a shop local who has a surface plate with all tooling to completely repanel a complete first gen F body, I asked him about the quarter fitment - he explained that the recess where the quarter meets the rear tail pan needs VERY little massaging in the curve that meets the tail pan... and then showed me. I was asking about the trunk gap and people sectioning the top of the quarter to get the gap correct. He said the pocket where the tail pan meets the quarter must be very slightly massaged with a body hammer then the quarter fits up perfectly...
They will completely repanel and gap the body for 13k and have it done in 2-3 weeks.

What's the name of the shop?