The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Summers Brothers front distributor mount (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158157)

A12pilot 11-21-2019 12:53 AM

Summers Brothers front distributor mount

1 Attachment(s)
Greeting folks!

On this, the Eve of Day one MCACN move in, I got a question for you Chevy people.:hmmm:

For my next major car project, I’ll be building the BMW 507 and I’ve been thinking of the power plant of choice. Aesthetically, the distributor needs to be at about the 10:30 position to mimic the original a BMW V8. I came across the Summers Brothers front distributor mount system and wondering if anyone has used this set up? Looks mainly like it’s a set up to make for eeasier blower clearance.

I’m wondering if the distributor is able to be clocked at any position based on the mounting holes of the cover? :hmmm: Using a SBC would make my running gear easy to assemble, but I want the asthetics to be as accurate as I can, and a distributor in that side of the engine would be BUENORIFFIC!!!:cool2:

Thanks guys!

Cheers:beers:
Dave

Damien 11-21-2019 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think yes, although I have never used a Summers Bros set up.
I had two different RCD front drive set ups on my race car and both of those were adjustable to some degree. I can get a better pic later for you if you would like.

Lynn 11-21-2019 01:15 AM

Just my .02 cents. I would think a 507 with a modern (90s or newer) BMW aluminum engine would be the way to go, especially if you can find a wrecked car with a manual trans, wire harness, etc.

A12pilot 11-21-2019 01:35 AM

Sweet! Thanks for that pic, Damien. Yes, I’d like to see a closer pic.

I was thinking originally about that too, Lynn. But the 507s engine was equipped with two Zenith carburetors, and I’d like use a dual quad intake with carb adapters for a pair of Rochester 2Gs, and the distributor being clocked to the correct position would really complete the package. I’d be interested in chatting with you about the BMW V8 though. PM...coming in HOT!!!:3gears:

Dave

big gear head 11-21-2019 02:00 AM

Looks like there could be come clearance issues with the water pump.

Kurt S 11-21-2019 03:17 AM

Elvis' 507 had a small block put in it.
https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...507-elvis.html
And when BMW restored it, it sounds like they reinstalled a Chevrolet engine (though the picture shows a correct looking engine with front distributor)!
>So, instead of the 150 hp 3.2-litre V8 lightweight engine from Bavaria, they used a large-volume engine from Chevrolet.

John Brown 11-21-2019 04:30 AM

Pictured on the red version of the car are 1950 Buick taillights, mounted sideways.

A12pilot 11-21-2019 11:08 AM

When Elvis sold the car, the subsequent owners installed a 327 and raced it. It was painted red, tail lights were modified, front turn signals removed, and several other originalities changed. BMW restored the car to exact standards including using the original drivetrain. That’s the correct BMW v8 in the restored car, not the SBC. :biggthumpup:

I befriended a gentleman who owns the sister car to Elvis’ and had it restored by BMW, and as a matter of fact, his car is one of the ones being worked on in the video of Elvis’ being restored. He bought his from his friend who owned both of them. He’ll be invaluable information for me once I get going on the project!:eek2:

I would think along water pump would solve the clearance issues. I’ll probably call them and chat to get some answers!:biggthumpup:

Dave

TimG 11-21-2019 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the engine from my Scarab race car with the Summers Brothers set up. I'm certain it is fixed in this position. There is a big spacer for the water pump and the pump is electric. I've had no issues with this set up.

TimG 11-21-2019 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a good shot of the spacer and water pump.