The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   In Memoriam (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Jack Bayer (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174187)

PhilS 01-02-2023 05:04 PM

Jack Bayer

My old friend Jack Bayer, racer, engineer, engine builder etc, passed in December. He graduated GMI and went to work for Chevrolet in the 50s. He and another young engineer designed the airflow system to deliver outside air over the headlights and into the passenger compartment in the 57 Chevy. I think it saved Chevy a couple of bucks a car and he was rewarded with a free lunch. Later he worked for Jim Hall on the Chaparral project while on Chevrolet payroll. He raced a Z11 and after switching to Ford he was provided a Thunderbolt. He set many records on the dragstrips as a driver and engine builder during the 60s and 70s and continued building engines and cars until the last few years. I learned a lot from him. RIP Jack.

Xplantdad 01-02-2023 10:11 PM

Sorry about the loss of your friend, Phil.

markjohnson 01-04-2023 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rip

HerminaShumate 01-05-2023 01:46 PM

Sorry to hear about this news. It looks like your passed friend had lots of experience in different areas. RIP

Bayer Z-11 01-11-2024 01:06 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I have recently purchased the remains of the Jack Bayer 1963 Impala Z-11 pictured above. I’m trying to get more information on this car and its history. With the passing of Jack I’m at a loss for information from the source. I would like to get in contact with any family, crew members, associates, friends who may have any information to share. I would like to also obtain artifacts from this era including pics, videos, awards, appearances etc to assemble together to document both him and the car during 1963- -1965 when the car was sold. Looking for information as to who the car was sold to. Also GM documents and Bader Chevrolet documents that might still exist. Even the smallest recollections can help to put the pieces together.

Thanks in advance

Bill

YenkoYS-199Stinger 01-11-2024 12:33 PM

So sorry about your loss.

I bet my dad knew him. His shop was on Rush also in the 70's and later he moved it to Reamer st in the 80's.

BJCHEV396 01-12-2024 07:22 AM

RIP sir.

1967Z28 01-12-2024 05:38 PM

Cheryl Bedford, the owner of Sunset Auto Center (Chevrolet dealership) in Lompoc, CA is the daughter of Bill Bader. You might contact her for possible historical information on the car. She is a car enthusiast and they have shown off a lot of performance cars old and new in their showroom.

Bayer Z-11 01-14-2024 06:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So here are several new photos that have showed up. Presumably the second owner which makes this 1965- (?). Winternationals at Pomona. Car is relettered with “Ranger ll”
Dyno Tuned by Jack Bayer changed to Engine by Jack Bayer. Note the Ramcharger scoop now on the hood. Car has changed classes and running B/MP. Does anyone recognize the car in this configuration and may know who the owner was? All I know is he is referred to as “Barstow rich kid” on another forum. If the starting line pic is during eliminations then there surely is a record of who the owner was. Where would I look for all the class competitors and not just the winners?

Bayer Z-11 01-14-2024 06:36 PM

Thank you for the lead on Cheryl. I have put a message for her at the dealership today. Hopefully she’ll respond back.

So here are several new photos that have showed up. Presumably the second owner which makes this 1965- (?). Winternationals at Pomona. Car is relettered with “Ranger ll”. “Dyno Tuned by Jack Bayer” has changed to “Engine by Jack Bayer”. No new drivers name on roof. Note the Ramcharger scoop now on the hood. Car has changed classes and running B/MP. Does anyone recognize the car in this configuration and may know who the owner was? All I know is he is referred to as “Barstow rich kid” on another forum. If the starting line pic is during eliminations then there surely is a record of who the owner was. Where would I look for all the class competitors and not just the winners?