The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   1970 Z/28 Air Cleaner - Help ID (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149783)

CamaroNOS 07-10-2018 02:03 AM

1970 Z/28 Air Cleaner - Help ID

7 Attachment(s)
I just picked this up from a buddy who told me it is an original/assembly line part.

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks SYC

McCune 07-10-2018 04:29 AM

I have seen that same style of green date stamp on a 73 factory air cleaner base.

mssl72 07-10-2018 05:37 AM

Maybe somebody has a known original they can compare the seams on the snorkels and the way they fit to the body. Compare the chrome too. It seems a little too nice IMO.

Dave Rifkin 07-10-2018 11:51 AM

I have been told that the seams on the snorkels for a 1970 air cleaner will have a small notch in the middle. If that is true then this one on the pictures is either a reproduction or from another year.

L16pilot 07-10-2018 04:35 PM

Not all OEM aircleaner assemblies for the 70Z had the notch in the snorkel seams. Here's a link to a good discussion on the subject:

http://nastyz28.com/threads/1970-z28-air-cleaner.64687/

Can you read the ink code on the inside of the base?...just cannot make it out clearly. I've never seen (yet) any ink markings on original bases. If it was an assembly line item , it should have the CU-code sticker on the outside perimeter for 1970...usually driver's side...or at least remnants of the sticker. Based on the photos, I'm thinking it may be an OTC item, but I'd have to compare some of the details to one of my originals.

roeville 07-10-2018 05:44 PM

To me, it looks like an original base with replaced snorkels. The original finishes I've seen have a little more gloss than this.
What about the lid? Post a close-up of the lid edge. Reproduction lids are easy to spot.
Mike

ronzz572 07-10-2018 06:09 PM

I'm with others here, L16 Pilot and and roeville. It appears to be a late production or over the counter part. They did not have the notches in the tubes. A good close up of the ink stamp is needed, It makes It questionable as a reproduction. The lid needs a close up too. If its ramped down it's a reproduction. If it drops straight down it's a OEM. There is what appears a decal on the side. Post some better pictures? It will secure a good answer.

L16pilot 07-11-2018 12:04 AM

Comparing the photo details to one of my originals, I'm liking the base as a GM unit. Cannot determine from the photos if the lid is GM or repop.

dvss1 07-11-2018 01:25 AM

I really cant make out what the green numbers are. Usually from the ones I have seen, its a date. The base is defiantly real especially with 90 degree vent tube comming out of the bottom however I have never seen any factory or srevice replacement with that big of gap in the center of the snorkels where they attach to the base. Dr. 409 was making snorkels for the 409 air cleaner which were similar to the z28 or z16 air cleaners. Also the hems on yours dont look straight or parallel to the snorkel. Maybe its just the pics.

CamaroNOS 07-11-2018 02:20 AM

Thanks guys,

Lots of good info. and questions. I will supply some better pics over the next day or so.

Paul

CamaroNOS 07-13-2018 01:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hopefully this will offer some clues.

Thanks

roeville 07-13-2018 04:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The reflection in the picture makes it a little difficult to see but the lid appears to be reproduction.

Some helpful links:

http://nastyz28.com/threads/1970-z28-air-cleaner.64687/

http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/nos-.../#post-3580098

ronzz572 07-13-2018 05:02 AM

The lid is a reproduction. As for the base. I'm still on the fence for my decision. I have never seen a over the counter base. Just originals. The stamp leads me to a reproduction. Maybe some who has a NOS over the counter can chime in and take this further. I'm going to say everything is reproduction. It's the stamped numbers that made my decision. They just dont look factory to me.

CamarosRus 07-13-2018 06:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A few pics......Top pic show NOS over the counter lid

big gear head 07-13-2018 12:11 PM

You guys are amazing.

Turbo70Camaro 07-13-2018 01:11 PM

looks like the whole thing may be a reproduction assembly?

CamarosRus 07-13-2018 07:26 PM

Wanted: Original,OE,GM 70-71 Z28 Air Cleaner Base in "restorable" condition

CamaroNOS 07-13-2018 09:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks BIG time guys....now I am going to play the devils advocate only because my buddy swears this is a GM part....maybe an over the counter part?

Whatever you decide is what I am going to hang my hat on, but he has some valid questions.

1. If you take the original GM breather and look at the style of crimping (the vertical lines) at the end of the snorkel next to the round body of the cleaner, it appears to be very similar to mine.

2. If you take the the original GM breather and look at the rolled up end of the snorkel, it is not a nice, crisp perfect lip as compared to the re-pop one which is too perfect. Then look at mine and it also appears to be less than a perfect rolled end.

3. If you take the the original GM breather and look at the snorkel where it is spot welded against the round body of the cleaner (next to the vertical lines), the two seams are not lined up perfectly, as they appear to be somewhat off set or spot welded poorly. My breather appears to be poorly lined up as well. Yet when you look at the re-pop, the butting of this seam appears to be almost perfect which seems to happen a lot on re-pop parts. Some times they are "improved" too much.

I am not trying to sell anybody on my OJ Simpson theory, but could my breather be an over the counter part or did I just end up with a re-pop part that my buddy will have to come good for?

Thanks again guys!!!

ronzz572 07-14-2018 02:31 AM

Here is my final opinion. The base is a later 1970 non notched or over the counter OEM base. The numbers appear to be hand stamped common with the early seventies GM. What the numbers mean is still open for discussion. The tool markings, seams and spot welds look OEM. The lid 100% is a reproduction due to the ramped outer edge. Anyone have any more to add to this I'm open to learn also?

roeville 07-14-2018 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The base looks correct, it has the correct metal crinkling. I’ve never seen a reproduction unit that has been able to replicate this. The snorkels are what concern me but I have seen GM original snorkels sold to repair damaged snorkels and they did not have notches in the seams, so a GM over the counter replacement is possible. I’ve only seen pictures of one over the counter GM replacement air cleaner and I think it belonged to Chuck. Maybe Chuck can compare.

Mike

CamaroNOS 07-16-2018 12:54 PM

I just wanted to thank all those who helped with my question.

I think we can all agree that the base is a GM over the counter replacement and the lid is a re-pop.

It is amazing the knowledge that exists on this site......almost scary in a VERY good way.

Thank you once again guys, you came to my rescue.

Paul

firstgenaddict 07-16-2018 03:49 PM

Note also the difference in the chrome plating...
The original has a grain the reproduction is really smooth...
Nickel Chrome VS copper - polish - nickel - chrome.

CamarosRus 07-17-2018 06:24 AM

My G.M. "2nd design" Over The Counter 70 Z28 Air Cleaner purchased from Chev dealer
in 1985 has NO notch snorkels and different "shaped" chrome cover.

I could post more new pics if I didnt have to deal with the inferior software at this site.
(Curious that other sites with very similar software will take any pics and convert to sites
needs)