The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Misc. Dealers (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Lyle Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149757)

Igosplut 07-08-2018 01:47 PM

Lyle Chevrolet

Does anybody have any backround on this dealer It was at 2311 Second street in Cuyahoga Falls (north of Akron), Ohio. Dealed code 348 in zone 28. Looks to have gone out in the early 70s. This dealer sold four 69 COPO Chevelles (two black-two orange), one of which was profiled by Hemmings two years back, owned by Phil Wojnarowski (Jim Walker original owner), so they had an interest in selling Hi-po cars. I have a 70 375 Nova delivered there that I been researching history on.

Ryan1969Chevelle 07-08-2018 05:48 PM

I sent Phil W a text to bring his attention to this post.

Ryan W31

Woj 07-08-2018 06:53 PM

There is nothing left of the Lyle Dealership as it was from back in the day. They had the main dealership on Second street, but also turned an old grocery store into their Sports Department, just down the road. That building is now a concrete parking garage. I’m in regular contact with my COPO’s original owner, and follow on owners who remember the dealership well. I’ve spoken on several occasions to one of the salesmen from back in the day at Lyle. He said they sold many hi perf cars to Vietnam Vets as they returned home with money in the bank. The original salesman who sold my COPO is still around, but I’ve been hesitant to contact him for reasons I can’t say on a public forum. The salesman’s name for my car was on the protectoplate. Other Lyle POPs have also had the salesman’s names just below the address of the buyer. It also had the date of sale next to the salesman’s name. My COPO was sold 5 days after being produced in Baltimore (NCRS and POP data).

Feel free to PM me with your contact info if you’d like more info on Lyle. Most of what I know about the dealership is from locals and my original owner. I’d like to know who sold your car. A friend knows about 4 Lyle salesman from that era.

Phil W.

R68GTO 07-09-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igosplut (Post 1407312)
Does anybody have any backround on this dealer It was at 2311 Second street in Cuyahoga Falls (north of Akron), Ohio. Dealed code 348 in zone 28. Looks to have gone out in the early 70s. This dealer sold four 69 COPO Chevelles (two black-two orange), one of which was profiled by Hemmings two years back, owned by Phil Wojnarowski (Jim Walker original owner), so they had an interest in selling Hi-po cars. I have a 70 375 Nova delivered there that I been researching history on.

What colors/trans is your 70 Nova? I see several newspaper ads from 1969/1970 advertising 375 horse Novas. Any other distinguishing mods done back then that you know of? I also noticed that Lyle sponsored "high performance" swap meets back then.

William 07-09-2018 11:37 AM

ZL1 #53 was sold out of Lyle.

Igosplut 07-09-2018 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply's, nice to know Lyle sold some note-worthy cars. My car is Black/black rubber mat, radio delete, 4 speed. It was in the Cleveland area, until I bought it in 86. I have talked to all the previous owners (4) except the original owner(s) a couple that the man bought it after getting out of the service, then marrying a local Ohio woman and moving to Tenn (where he was from I'm surmising). Not to long after that they split, the wife taking the car back to Ohio (the husband egged it the night before) and leaving it in her mothers yard unmoved for 6 months until the second owner asked about buying it.

PeteLeathersac 07-09-2018 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
'

Cool car and story!
R68GTO is exactly correct asking for your car's details as Lyle was very active w/ Newspaper advertising also lots of old Ohio newspapers have been scanned so worth cruising/looking for specific cars.
I have a few Lyle ads etc saved on my other system I can post later but for now, here's a Lyle Chev Matchbook also a '69 L78 Nova ad posted previously in the Old Newspaper thread.
:beers:
~ Pete

m22mike 07-09-2018 09:55 PM

Grady's 69 Burgany L78 Nova I restored about 10 years ago also came from Lyle.

Mike

R68GTO 07-09-2018 10:05 PM

Pete, I noticed that exact same L78 ad last night when I did a quick search. I'll spend a little time looking for a black/black L78 ad over the next few days.

68l30 07-10-2018 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Drivers Ed... W/ 427. :burnout:

BIG