The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Leaf Spring Front Eye Bushing Installation (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163835)

SMS 10-29-2020 05:19 PM

Leaf Spring Front Eye Bushing Installation

8 Attachment(s)
Over 3 days of researching this topic with the AIM, Here, CRG, TC and other photos and forum responses, there are so many different responses.

Bushings both pressed in from the drivers side?
Bushings direction doesn't matter?
Bushings pressed all the way in? Some guys say definitively yes.
Bushings centered? Some guys say definitively yes.

I looked at all the original car photos and there isn't much focus on this issue.
The restorations, both amateur and professional are also all over the place on this issue.

How about some photos of known correct orientation? Really appreciate it gents.

L16pilot 10-29-2020 06:05 PM

I approach it from a manufacturing perspective....on leaf springs where there is no "right" or "left", (one PN for both), and production even at that time would have been somewhat automated...at least fixtured, it makes sense that all front eye bushings would be pressed in from the same direction. As for centered vs not-centered, on my 70Z project, I copied an original set of leafs and the bushings are centered. Are there variables to this?...maybe...this has just been my experience.

Too Many Projects 10-29-2020 06:21 PM

I agree, assembly of springs would have them all going into the press the same direction, not right and left.
Centered for certain, or the car could tend to have a slight tracking issue.

SMS 10-29-2020 06:29 PM

Makes sense that If they are pressed in from the same side they should be centered.

Too Many Projects 10-29-2020 06:34 PM

Either way, they need to be pressed in fully and centered.

It's OK for you to be anal and press the replacements in from left and right.......I do...:wink: But then, it may not be 100 point correct....:dunno: None of that going on around here. I replace all bushings with Del-a-Lum anyway. Single, easiest upgrade to improve the steering response and lessen wander in corners.

SMS 10-29-2020 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is getting to be an amusing obsession. For every one I find pressed in from the right, I find one pressed in from the left.

SMS 10-31-2020 09:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After seeing a few unrestored cars, they were pressed in from the driver’s side, so that’s what I ended up doing. Thanks guys for the input. 👍

big gear head 10-31-2020 11:06 PM

Benny's car would be a good one to check.

Too Many Projects 10-31-2020 11:22 PM

Wow, everything is so clean and new.

Did you put the front mount clips and bolts on just to keep track of them ?

rszmjt 10-31-2020 11:22 PM

My 69 Z are both pressed in from drivers side, both centered, original springs