The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   COPO - United States (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   ZL1 # 48 coming to Barrett-Jackson (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120365)

bergy 12-10-2012 08:00 PM

Re: ZL1 # 48 coming to Barrett-Jackson

Good point William & well taken - It should have a Canadian registration history and Canadian import docs though. Even if it wasn't registered in Canada, it should have import docs from crossing the border. Such a rare car without any history would be a little suspect in my mind no matter what the car looks like today. It would be cool if quik9r could provide the community with some of the background before the auction - it might even encourage more potential buyers to be at the auction (or bid on-line). Heck, I'm interested. :-).

GM of Canada used to send a copy of an entire page of computer print out with every car that they supplied documentation for. I know that I have a few pages (maybe 40 or 50 cars per page)of Canadian imported cars with VINs & all ecl codes. There are some rare cars on there! But a car made up from air, no matter how accurate the resto is, has the same problem - no owners to talk to & verify history.

PeteLeathersac 12-10-2012 09:42 PM

As long as it doesn't need to happen immediately I'm happy to run the VIN history here in Ontario Canada.
If dates don't reach back far enough or names are the same as other suspect air cars we've seen here in the past, looking closely at tags/sheet metal dates etc may accomplish nothing more than seeing how good a job was perhaps done creating it?
If the car was genuine whether the lost/unknown Vin car shipped to Nurse Chev in Whitby Ontario or any other a seller should be standing up crowing about it and supplying all info possible to convince possible buyers, not offering clever descriptions like the BJ info seems to include or working on a placard?

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Charley Lillard 12-11-2012 12:30 AM

Just a word of caution to stick to facts in this thread.

12-11-2012 02:26 AM

Just a word here... Docs from GM of Canada do not include the names of past owners, just the skinny on the car.

bergy 12-11-2012 02:25 PM

Pete - Good idea on the VIN search - also, your PM box is full.

PeteLeathersac 12-11-2012 03:45 PM

To clarify I was referring to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation Vin search which includes owner history known to the system, not GM Canada Vintage services paperwork.
If someone here's already doing/done this please speak up otherwise I'll run the Vin over the next few days and report back w/ the results.
For the record I'm hoping this car proves to be nothing less than absolutely genuine w/ indisputable tags and paperwork also hopefully that any paperwork can determine if it's the missing unknown Vin ZL1 sent to Nurse Chevrolet in Whitby Ontario as a back up motor for the Team Eaton Can-Am effort at the Mosport Canada track or not also if not that it includes new information on this same car.
For those keeping track of relevant dates, the Mosport race was June 01/69 where Eaton and his alloy Chevy McLaren finished 9'th or if the timeline fits better the following year's race was June 14/70 when Eaton DNF'd.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

njsteve 12-11-2012 04:26 PM

Pete, your PM is full. Can you empty your in-box? I have a question for you.

67BelAir427 12-12-2012 12:14 AM

The owner history available from the MTO will show when the car was registered with the Province of Ontario. However, the car could have been in Canada for years prior, so a short MTO history is meaningless as far as &quot;air cars&quot; are concerned. Also, as has been mentioned, if it was not delivered to a Canadian dealer it would have no GM Documentation.Does anyone know where #48 was sold from initially?

camaromb 12-12-2012 12:32 AM

ZL1 # 48 was listed as originally sold at Gibb Chevrolet, LaHarpe, IL

weranc55 12-12-2012 06:41 PM

If I owned a legit zl1 BJ is probable the last place I would take to sell it.