The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Oil change (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=167367)

Canuck 05-27-2021 05:51 PM

Oil change

We all have procedures for oil changes on our freshly built engines for our restorations. What do you do with brand new vehicles.
Today’s engines are way better built than years ago and I am assuming a better factory build process.
In the past three months I bought two brand new vehicles, a 2021 Suburban High Country and. A 2021 Mercedes C63s.
I bought each vehicle in for an oil change after 500-700 miles and had to explain why I was getting an oil change so soon.
Anybody else,old school like me who wants to change out the assembly oil after a similar time period.

RPOLS3 05-27-2021 06:02 PM

I do.

William 05-27-2021 06:17 PM

Acura refused to do that when ours were new. They want the initial oil fill left intact for whatever the oil change indicator determines. The only recommendation they had was to not exceed one year between changes. When our 2020 RDX was one year old it had 1,900 miles so I brought it in and had the oil changed. They told me it wasn't necessary but I insisted.

Todays fuel systems do not contaminate oil as carburetors did. Full synthetic can go 10,000-15,000 miles between changes.

Jonesy 05-27-2021 06:25 PM

I never have for daily drivers that I keep for 4 years. I usually go in for the first one about 3-4000 miles, then the rest are about 6-8,000 miles. These are brand new cars/trucks.
Mostly highway miles, not city driving.

napa68 05-27-2021 09:53 PM

I like to change it out around 1000-1500. My only reasoning behind it is any contaminants from assembly and break in. Otherwise I run 5000k intervals, even in my diesels.

Probably not necessary, and one could say I overthink it. But having said that, I have never had an engine related problem in any new vehicles in 35 years.

Oil changes are CHEAP insurance IMO

Tim

Bill Pritchard 05-28-2021 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napa68 (Post 1549733)
Oil changes are CHEAP insurance IMO

Amen Tim. Never had an oil related engine problem in 51 yrs of vehicle ownership and I don't intend to change that now. I brought my 21 Tahoe in for an oil and filter change a few weeks ago when it hit 3000 miles (never went that long for a first oil change before). Dealership told me it was unnecessary, but I told them either you can do it or I'll take it to someone who will. I'll do that again at 6000 miles and then every 6000 thereafter.

Mr70 05-28-2021 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I change all the Oil,Transmission & Rearend fluids,(And Filters) in my vehicles myself,as soon as I want,be they new or old.Have been for years since I witnessed first hand how certain places "change" fluids,let alone what they put back in,and miss the filter.Not to mention so many places over tighten drain pan bolts or plugs with an air ratchet,as a way of saying,"Have fun taking this off yourself in the future!"
I can drain & add engine oil,and filter in less then 10 minutes and for far less then the surprised attendant who utters,"Oh,this vehicle takes 6 Qts of 5W-20?..that's going to cost more then our advertised price".
Most all the O'Riellys,Auto Zone,Advanced Auto & certain NAPA stores here take & recycle your used fluids for free,but they have to give you back the container you brought it in,otherwise they would have dozens of plastic containers to dispose of at the end of the day.So I bought one of these for under $10 @ Home Depot,and they are a Godsend for doing just this task,along with peace of mind of knowing the job was done right and economically.

1967 4K 05-28-2021 04:46 PM

oil change

Yesterday i bought a 02 Camaro 35 Anniversary with 4,505 miles on it. When i asked him about the first oil change he said he had not changed oil in it! I stopped and thought about it for a minute but still made the deal. I guess time will tell but i think it will be okay.
I change oil in my 15 GMC LS truck engine at 7K miles.

Richard

Too Many Projects 05-29-2021 12:51 AM

Mobil 1 7,500 mile oil and filters in all 3 DD's. I'm with Rick, no one has changed any oil or filters, engine or trans, for me for over 30 years and that includes the semi's that hold 8 gallons in the pan and 1 gallon in the filter. The Cat's got fresh oil every 10-12,000 miles.

About 10 years ago, I had over 300 gallons of drain oil and finally found a guy with a waste oil heater to take it...:eek2: Right now I have about 15 gallons I need to take to the recycle center.

Postsedan 05-29-2021 12:45 PM

Canuck,

Your 2021 Mercedes C63s does not even have an oil drain plug.

Dan