The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Pit Area - Racing (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   1967 Camaro street/drag (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168190)

Pro Stock John 12-08-2022 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let me see if I can load up a video to Youtube.

A buddy of mine and I are obsessed with the idea of having a a true street car that runs 7.90, he has a very nice '69 Camaro that he did all the work on. He's been 8.6@157 so far.

I drove mine all over Chicago this year, put about 12 street hours on it.

Kevin's car (started out as a rough roller):

Crush 12-08-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1607864)
Let me see if I can load up a video to Youtube.

A buddy of mine and I are obsessed with the idea of having a a true street car that runs 7.90, he has a very nice '69 Camaro that he did all the work on. He's been 8.6@157 so far.

I drove mine all over Chicago this year, put about 12 street hours on it.

Kevin's car (started out as a rough roller):

Looks like my old Camaro?!

Pro Stock John 12-08-2022 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
His starting point:

Crush 12-08-2022 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1607869)
His starting point:

Nope that’s not it, the blue fooled me. What’s he running?

Pro Stock John 12-09-2022 12:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He's been 8.61@157, similar combo to mine (turbo ls).

I'm a fan of Tony Karamitsos' '69 Camaro too, he runs true street classes in the Midwest. SBC with a big turbo.

Pro Stock John 12-09-2022 04:12 PM

So moving along, I plan to wrap or partially paint the car in 2023.

Car is a '67, originally F-F paint, and that blue is fine but I don't feel a burning need to go back to it. Car was then red and is now some sort of yellow.

A local painter friend of mine thinks he can match the paint, his confidence impresses me but I am pessimistic. I will see where that goes.

If it's not possible, might wrap it butternut yellow it's a color I keep coming back to. I don't want to do white because everybody copies the Grump cars.

Pro Stock John 04-06-2023 06:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm closer to wrapping my '67.

I'm going to have to stay with my current hood and I actually came across a car with the same hood that is painted up '68 style.

I was kicking around trying an L88 hood but I really doubt it will work with my intake.

L78_Nova 04-06-2023 06:47 PM

Bulging the center of the L-88 hood to clear might be cool.
But I like the Sunoco hood also.
G

Pro Stock John 04-06-2023 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the interest!

I also bought a MOPAR style hood scoop but I think for now I'm going to just focus on wrapping the car and replicating the '67 style nose stripe. I would love to run a more vintage looking wheel but they are heavy, don't fit a 5/8 stud (rear) and I don't want to run old wheels into the mid 8s.

A local racer to me has the look I'm going for, I told him I won't do black lol.

cook_dw 04-06-2023 07:32 PM

That was the look I wanted to do with my old 69. Paint it Frost Green again (original color), turbo'd LS. It would have been fun but reality and the opportunity to trade for my fathers 68 L78 from my brother altered plans.

Pro Stock John 04-06-2023 07:58 PM

Yeah I had no problem turning this old drag / pro street car into a drag and drive style car, wasn't anything special trim tag wise.

But I also like gennie rare GM muscle cars I'll probably buy a newish COPO or an L78 car once I move out of the city.

Stefano 04-06-2023 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1607899)

I'm a fan of Tony Karamitsos' '69 Camaro too, he runs true street classes in the Midwest. SBC with a big turbo.

That is one bad ass Street car! Tony runs the Johnny Lightning Auto World Program and works hand in hand with Bob @ MCACN. He has had his Camaro there on display.

Pro Stock John 04-07-2023 12:15 AM

Yeah Tony's car is great, he's been a frequent winner of True Street events.

Pro Stock John 04-24-2023 05:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking seriously about wrapping my '67 like this car that I will share, but I''d replicate the '67 style wrap-around nose stripe. I don't come across too many folks running the same Glasstek hood as me so I was pretty excited to find this car with the hood and painted butternut.

I looked into running more of a day 2 style hood (scoop) and even bought a pro stock scoop but I can always revisit that in the future.

Keith Seymore 04-24-2023 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1607899)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefano (Post 1619574)
That is one bad ass Street car! Tony runs the Johnny Lightning Auto World Program and works hand in hand with Bob @ MCACN. He has had his Camaro there on display.

I recognize those guys.

I'm really surprised I'm not in the background of that photo.

K

Pro Stock John 04-24-2023 08:10 PM

Nice where was that taken Keith?

Keith Seymore 04-25-2023 09:24 PM

I believe the circle track is "Chicagoland Speedway" (aka Joliet); the winner's circle photo is World Wide Technology Raceway (East St Louis/Madison ILL).

K

Pro Stock John 04-26-2023 12:55 AM

Very cool, I used to crew for 2 different buddies running NMCA heads up classes, good times.

Keith Seymore 04-26-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1621142)
Very cool, I used to crew for 2 different buddies running NMCA heads up classes, good times.

That's cool. Who did you work with?

I started with the NMCA in 1994. I go all the way back to Danny Scott, Scott Hocking and the like. Use to hang out with Nick Scavo, Chuck Samuel, Bill Travato, Eric Van Berkum and such.

K

dykstra 04-26-2023 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 1621169)
That's cool. Who did you work with?

I started with the NMCA in 1994. I go all the way back to Danny Scott, Scott Hocking and the like. Use to hang out with Nick Scavo, Chuck Samuel, Bill Travato, Eric Van Berkum and such.

K

Boy, those names bring back memories! I believe Ron Mroz used to run with those guys too? He had a beautiful beige ‘65 real healthy small block Chevelle that ran extremely fast for how it looked. Major sleeper

Pro Stock John 04-26-2023 04:11 PM

My buddies ran the LSX series, 315 Drag Radial. I helped Andy Essary starting around 2013 and then Anthony Manna, both Chicago area guys. Class started out in the 7.80's, went 1/8th, and by the end of the field was running mid 4.20s to mid 4.30s.

I've had other friends who run Xstreme Street, Nitrous Pro Street, X275.

I won't be running any classes in this car, getting it out for the first time this year. I hope to get down to into the 5.40's within 40 passes. :)

Edit: I'm friends with Bill Trovato and Eric. Bill runs Xstreme Street.

cook_dw 05-03-2023 03:49 PM

Years ago I had a very, very small part helping when Jesse Coulter ('91 red L98 Camaro) started running Drag Radial class before we parted ways. I guess he's gone on to win several championships. Those were fun & frustrating times. I'm not sure I'd be willing to do it over again.

Pro Stock John 05-03-2023 10:25 PM

Cool, was he running the LSX Real Street class? He currently runs the NMCA Xtreme Street class, very similar though he made the move to a blower. I've hung out with him a lot over the years, sharp guy.

cook_dw 05-04-2023 01:01 AM

I honestly can’t remember very early it was a 408 iron block with a nitrous plate.

Pro Stock John 05-04-2023 01:36 AM

Dang... early days I don't even remember when Jesse ran nitrous.

cook_dw 05-04-2023 02:40 AM

1st LSx event in Memphis was his first race (not first first but first with that setup) iirc. 2007 or 8 was the 1st race with a LS engine.

Pro Stock John 05-04-2023 03:25 PM

Good times I was at all those races.

Pro Stock John 05-04-2023 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic I took at Memphis, All Motor class.

cook_dw 05-05-2023 12:58 PM

IIRC it was a bracket class not all motor. But still it was fun while it lasted.

Pro Stock John 05-05-2023 04:55 PM

I vaguely recall Jesse was nitrous before turbo, that was kind of the scene back then, turbo combos were still getting figured out.

The first organized LS race was held in 2000 by GMHTP Magazine, Johnny Hunkins pulled it together. Then in 2001 Chris Endres and I held a race at Beech Bend. Then starting in 2003 we pulled together a 3-race series in partnership with Thunder Racing.

Prior to 2006 I had talks with the organizers of the LSX Series (Chevrolet Performance, NMCA) and I was brought in to help with rules and class structure, and facilitated dialogue with the racers.

I did the same thing for Holley LS Fest and I'm still a consultant for them.

But I digress, I think once I wrap the car it will look a bit more Day 2, right now I'm Day 100 lol.

Pro Stock John 11-05-2023 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
@turbobird would love to see some pics of your car.

I got the car out last month first time ever, went 12.4 and on my 4th pass went 9.30s. Later went 6.04@123 in the 1/8 maybe a high 9.2x pass.

I am redoing some of the front suspension for next season to rid the car of the current death wobble at high speeds.

turbo69bird 11-08-2023 06:53 AM

6 Attachment(s)
This is my turbo charged bird pretty much locked myself in the garage w my buddy Chris for 48 hrs built the whole set up w the goal of running 9s and went 10.00 right off the trailer . That was carberator and no. Inter-cooled w water meth and a diesel turbo.
I sized the turbo this way.
455 cid x 6000rpm is the same air flow as 900cid and 3000 rpm !
Bingo Detroit diesel turbo works!
Everyone said it wouldn’t even make it down the track. I did a forum on a Pontiac site teaching guys how to build it and I had guys in New Zealand. Iceland , Australia all over the place w my basic designed set up on theirs cars. Put it together last long block version in about late 2005 and changed it up top to fuel injection- Intercooler and a ceramic ball bearing turbo - right before the HPP race at englishtown 2009 (which I won BTW ) it’s still together running without even a spark plug change. Still has gen 7 DFI on it and one of Jason betwardas old turbos I got from a buddy who worked at turbo people . Which I’m proud To own jason was the best of the best!

Car is set up at 11 psi and clicks off 9.70 at 146 off the foot brake. On 93 octane .

Every nut bolt weld even the paint on this car that GM didn’t put there I put there w my own two hands . No one worked on this car not one piece was subbed out
Or bought complete. Welded the cage, narrowed the rear , did the body I even made the original set of headers for it myself from a couple sets of 3 tubes I had kicking around . I later copied them in stainless.

Pro Stock John 11-09-2023 02:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very cool! Ladder bar right? Diag track locator?

My 2024 goal is 8.50/5.40. Once it runs that I'll fix up the exterior, has to earn it. :)

I street drive the car all summer.

turbo69bird 11-09-2023 03:05 AM

Yeah I’m ladder bar and diagonal link. I’d prefer a watts or a pan hard bar personally especially for street use the diagonal link will bind like carzy on the street I’ve snapped mine twice just plain beat it to death on the street.

https://youtu.be/_iScK0gqvzc?si=C1_nzQk0j4hXSlhb

Doesn’t look like it but had nasty tire shake on this burnout on the street and snapped it right after. .

https://youtu.be/AbYnvJggx_o?si=DwDW-ASOjWMhODPN
(Idk what my kids saying in this one she’s really little) but I snapped the diagonal link on this run
It’s a spring rate issue as the Moroso truck springs settled differently it hits the bump stops differently and violently when I lift and this causes a dynamic waddle that loads and unloads the already beat up diagonal link.
It just needs to be fixed but there’s always 47 more important things on the list ahead of it.

Pro Stock John 11-09-2023 04:06 AM

I keep an eye on my diag bar.

I talked to a buddy about a panhard bar and a watts link setup.

Lately my buddies are all about running a wishbone.

turbo69bird 11-09-2023 04:29 AM

Here’s another

From long ago the kids you hear in this video are 18 now lol.

https://youtu.be/Yj0Ge3GQbaI?si=UqG0Vw537QVA27Gb

They were probably 3 or 4 I’d guess when this was taken. Took me a while to post them on YT. So they are older than 10 years

Pro Stock John 11-09-2023 08:13 PM

Looks good.

I hope to be ready right when tracks open to run my car.

turbo69bird 11-10-2023 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 1636725)
I keep an eye on my diag bar.

I talked to a buddy about a panhard bar and a watts link setup.

Lately my buddies are all about running a wishbone.

I looked at the wishbone and was told it would have the same tendencies as the diagonal link.

I also can’t stand where my shocks are located because I can’t run the stock tank location . I street the car more than anything these days so I prefer a large tank w a sending unit. IDK what I’ll do w that rear suspension in the future . It’s one of those things where if I’m gonna do surgery to it I would probably go from the 12 bolt to a fab nine, if Im gonna do that maybe go to a diagonal 4 link for the street , if I’m gonna do that go back to a regular tank location . And it just keeps going and going. Where does it end. In the mean tie I’ve been racing the Tesla 😂

turbo69bird 11-10-2023 04:13 AM

I check my diagonal link all the time because the car sits up on the lift most of its time . I never found any indication it was fatigued before I snapped the end links .

Pro Stock John 11-10-2023 03:25 PM

You broke the rod or a heim?

I think if at some point I'm having work done on the back, like changing out the front brackets so I can change the anti-squat, I'd look into thicker diameter diag bar though the one I got came from Chris Alston. I just now there is thicker diameter options I could get customized.

I kicked around changing this car back to leafs but after talking to some friends with quicker leaf spring 1st gens I think it's a step back. Ladder bars are working really well right now though Tin Soldier's 4 link setup looks good too.

I think the issue folks have with wishbones is the slider binding up.