The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Gas tank cleaning (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173477)

Hawkeye 10-24-2022 12:14 AM

Gas tank cleaning

Has anyone had good results cleaning out a gas tank. What products worked best? Techniques? Any input is greatly appreciated. I’d like to attempt to clean out my gas tank rather than just replace it. It has rust and I believe varnish all throughout.
Thanks,
Marty

tjs44 10-24-2022 02:22 AM

White vinegar and a length of chain.Seal it off and just rotate the crap out of it,draining and replacing it until comes out pretty clear.Wash it out good and then a good wet dry vac.I would have bought a new one if there were any avail for a 63 tempest.Tom

SuperNovaSS 10-24-2022 02:37 AM

I’ve never used the chain. I usually use the same method but with pea gravel. I like the chain idea better.

Jason

Hawkeye 10-24-2022 09:26 PM

Gas tank cleaning.

Thanks for the replies. The chain is a good idea. Is there any harm in letting the white vinegar soak for 24 hours or do I need to act within a reasonable amount of time?
Thanks

bdk1976 10-25-2022 02:50 AM

I once heard someone suggest filling partially with gravel and water/vinegar/etc. and strapping to a tractor wheel. I have several tanks in the barn - may need to try this method out on my old MF135 sometime as I'm getting too old and lazy to shake by hand.

Mr.Nickey Nova 10-25-2022 03:36 PM

Take your tank to a radiator shop. Most shops can clean and seal gas tanks. Had mine done this way years ago and no issues yet. I think they can do a better job at getting the rust out than you can using vinegar and gravel. I think they use some type of acid to eat the rust away.

SuperNovaSS 10-25-2022 05:36 PM

24 hours should be ok. You can also water it down if you are concerned. If it is varnish and not much rust, you may want to start with gasoline, lacquer thinner, or other solvent. Then you don’t have to worry about the time. Vinegar is an acid. You can handle this by yourself.

Jason

Hawkeye 10-26-2022 12:29 AM

Gas tank cleaning

Thanks again for all the replies. These ideas will be very helpful. I'm going to do it myself as the gas tank is the original and I'm preserving the car. I will attempt to post some before and after photos to show my results.

Thanks again for the great information.

Regards,
Marty

tjs44 10-26-2022 02:27 AM

I was told to strap it to a cement mixer!Just did not have one handy.My local radiator shops being in Calif would not touch it.Tom

Mr.Nickey Nova 10-27-2022 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS (Post 1603608)
24 hours should be ok. You can also water it down if you are concerned. If it is varnish and not much rust, you may want to start with gasoline, lacquer thinner, or other solvent. Then you don’t have to worry about the time. Vinegar is an acid. You can handle this by yourself.

Jason

I believe radiator shops used sulfuric acid when cleaning out fuel tanks. Eastwood sold a kit for cleaning and sealing gas tanks, check them out.