The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Looking for honest but respectable paint scheme color opinions for my 69 camaro (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144604)

chevroletaddict 09-20-2017 06:29 PM

Looking for honest but respectable paint scheme color opinions for my 69 camaro

2 Attachment(s)
Looking for honest but respectable opinions .

I'm paining my 69 camaro black and am having a hard time deciding on a strip color so I decided to open up the opinion box.
It's tuxedo solid black now. I'm torn between traditional white strips or gold. Here is the layout on a diecast model.

CanCOPO 09-20-2017 06:39 PM

Have you considered ghosting black stripes?

chevroletaddict 09-20-2017 06:41 PM

I want to try to Stage more of a traditional era correct paint job. I made custom ZL1 Badges and I plan on applying them to my car. The Prototype ZL1 Camaro had gold Stripes so I'm having a hard time really finding the right shade that complements the car. I think I've come close with the current shade listed but it's either going to be the traditional white or the gold in question. But thank you for your input

Turbo70Camaro 09-20-2017 06:46 PM

Gold for sure and maybe try trans am snowflake wheel or car color gold may be close.

chevroletaddict 09-20-2017 06:54 PM

Yeah I thought about getting a California gold that is used in the Trans Am snowflake wheel. I actually bought accent gold used in the 89 Camaro wheels. When I did a spray test it looked like I had glued a bunch of new copper pennies to the paper. Way too coppery. The gold Stripes actually pictured is a base 74 Mustang color that have been modified a little bit to add a slight darker tint to the paint

Lynn 09-21-2017 12:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
If by traditional era, you mean 1969, you only have one choice: white.

If you mean 1976 to 1981, then you can choose either white of gold.

I remember wanting gold stripes in my 69 Z in the summer of 76. Thank goodness it didn't happen. When I repainted the car in 2012, I went with the original color of white stripes. Nothing looks cleaner than white ralley stripes on a black Z (or any other black 69 Camaro).

Here are pics from both before and after the paint was buffed:

chevroletaddict 09-21-2017 12:20 AM

When I say era correct, I know that white was the go to color. I want to make my car unique but still respectable to the classic car. That's why I'm putting zl1 badges I make onto the car. It's hard to decide a color scheme because I face the back and forth bantering that comes with classics.... when its original i hear "oh look another black and white camaro" when you paint the car a non rpo color, then I hear the "why didn't you paint it white". So I'm torn. Opinions from fellow car owners are always welcome.

wheelhop 09-21-2017 01:14 AM

Black and white gets my vote.

bbbentley 09-21-2017 01:42 AM

Black and gold is always a winner. And being a ZL1 (clone I assume), who's to say that the Chevy design studio didn't put this on their black ZL1? I believe they did. Plus you could of had special paint option? That is what makes these cars so cool. They were made to order, not cookie cutter. One of my 69s has special paint. Why? The OB did not want the default stripe. The car is Lemans blue, with black vinyl top. The default calls for black striping, but mine is white.

westonz28rs 09-21-2017 12:40 PM

You know there is one original car with red rally stripes. Maybe you can look and see how that would look. Black and red always look good together.