The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Grandfather's 68 SS Camaro. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=130691)

Too Many Projects 05-31-2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1592012)
Sounds like a cam lobe going flat, usually the exhaust letting the burned fuel back fire thru the carb. Pull the left cover and investigate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRC99 (Post 1592152)
Ah, right! It's the exhaust valve on #8 then!

And there you have it.
Winter projects are always fun, but expensive. Start putting away some funds now so you can just dig in and keep working on it.:headbang:

67since67 05-31-2022 05:50 PM

Sticking valve stem??? A friend recently bought a 396 car that had been sitting a long time. It would intermittently idle rough and pop thru the carb. He gave it a dose of Sea Foam or some similar product and drove it. It smoothed out and now runs fine. Just a thought....

napa68 05-31-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1592169)
Sticking valve stem??? A friend recently bought a 396 car that had been sitting a long time. It would intermittently idle rough and pop thru the carb. He gave it a dose of Sea Foam or some similar product and drove it. It smoothed out and now runs fine. Just a thought....

I've had 2 cars with sticking exhaust valves in recent years. The clearance from guide to stem was just too tight especially when the motor got some solid heat in it. The first was the 427 in my Dad's car, the second was a customers 327. While wiping out a cam lobe is not rare, please don't short cut the process without making sure the rest of the valvetrain is up to snuff.

I know it's expensive and frustrating..........but so is doing it twice.

Tim

JRC99 05-31-2022 09:17 PM

I ran Berryman B12 through it a couple months ago. Shouldn't be anything gummed up. It's definitely something I plan on really investigating.

JRC99 06-04-2022 09:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The Chevelle has 255/70/15s on the rear compared to the Camaro's 255/60/15s. Just for giggles, I bolted the Chevelle's wheels on the Camaro to see the rake. Raised it about 1.5 inches, roughly.

The picture with all 4 wheels being Cragars was an edit, of course.

A couple of notes- one, the 'someday' goal is a little bit more rake than even this and either L60s or 275/60s (depending on whether or not I commit to bias plies) and to do that, it looks like I'll need new springs. Obviously, that can wait until after the engine is done.

Two, speaking of the engine, fret not- I didn't run it to get the car out. I just pushed it.

Lastly, you may notice Dad's new driveway.

No, he will not let me 'break it in' with a burnout. I already asked. Lame. :laugh:

SMS 06-07-2022 06:57 PM

Don't be the first guy to leak oil on Dad's new driveway. Trust me on that, experience talking.

JRC99 06-07-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMS (Post 1592696)
Don't be the first guy to leak oil on Dad's new driveway. Trust me on that, experience talking.

Haha, no mechanical work will be done on it there. Sometime this year we're going to drag it to my place so I can pull the engine.

JRC99 02-13-2023 06:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Lookie what showed up today!

Kinda pointless since the car doesn't run but I wasn't missing out on them. Only bummer is I would have preferred the shorter ones, and they didn't come with the decals- dangit!

I also never posted about the distributor I picked up for it. An Accel electronic Breakerless. So it'll still be electronic ignition but have the small cap. Plan is (if I ever actually work on this car- long story) use that dizzy with a Mallory Voltmaster Pappaw had left over from another car if that's still any good (or just get another) with a vintage MSD box. The current thought process is still to pull the engine once I get it to my house but I don't have any room for it over here right now

Also, a picture of the man himself fiddling with something under the hood. Took it in 2017 and would love to see it one more time.

cook_dw 02-15-2023 01:34 PM

Cool items that will look at home on the car once added.

randy27 02-20-2023 05:12 AM

Cool photo of him working on that nice car!