The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Special Paint (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141715)

ds1 03-06-2017 09:28 AM

Dana Mecum thinks so. He has been trying to sell his Carolina Blue 1969 Z28 for WAY more than market value

Jeff H 03-06-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 1344001)
I think for situations where a color (like black) wasn't available that year and only a handful can be documented as being special ordered in black (like my old 1972 Formula 455HO Firebird that they made two customer ordered cars in black), it certainly does. It was around a 30% bump in value when I sold it as compared to a standard color.

Steve, does PHS have the data on the Pontiac special paint cars showing the numbers? That would probably add value if there is proof that x number of cars had a certain non standard color.

TimG 03-06-2017 02:44 PM

We had a 1973 Corvette from Hory Chevrolet painted black and documented on the build sheet that way. That added value.

Big Block Bill 03-06-2017 03:01 PM

Special Paint code

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1343964)
----Others may disagree but I dont think so. It does allow you to paint then car any color you want to though!!!......Bill S

Wouldn't a - on a trim tag represent the vehicle left the factory it was produced at a non-production color, such as the Spring colors available on a 1970 442 like Nugget gold? I used to work on a Post Sedan W-30, 4-speed, bench seat cat that left the factory in Nugget Gold. That car had a - on the trim tag, but someone had re-painted it a dark brown metallic. We did some detective / exploring and found parts of the original color in hidden areas.

Bill

442w30 03-06-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Block Bill (Post 1344089)
Wouldn't a - on a trim tag represent the vehicle left the factory it was produced at a non-production color, such as the Spring colors available on a 1970 442 like Nugget gold?

Nugget Gold and the three other extra-cost colors for Olds A-bodies are just that – extra-cost. They are not "non-production."

Big Block Bill 03-07-2017 01:09 AM

Special Paint code

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442w30 (Post 1344098)
Nugget Gold and the three other extra-cost colors for Olds A-bodies are just that – extra-cost. They are not "non-production."

But those what I called "Spring Colors" did not have a code resulting in a - on the trim tag, I guess a non-standard would be a better wording.

Bill

442w30 03-07-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Block Bill (Post 1344181)
But those what I called "Spring Colors" did not have a code resulting in a - on the trim tag, I guess a non-standard would be a better wording.

No worries....even Olds people call them "special-order" colors because that's what it says in the catalog back in the day. But all 4 colors were RPO, so I tend to lean towards the other side of the semantics.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm relatively sure there are instances when these 4 colors received the proper color code. Certainly it's an example how Oldsmobile was a unique company, just like all of GM's decentralized brands, and they each operated a little differently. But I don't have the answer to this, so it's just speculation.

Tracker1 03-07-2017 11:03 AM

A - - 1969 Camaro will certainly be more valuable if the car was Tuxedo Black.

Big Block Bill 03-07-2017 12:27 PM

Special Paint

Especially if it was documented as leaving the Factory Black.

Bill

L78M22Rag 03-07-2017 04:16 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Documentation or clear evidence of the original special paint color, and being a desirable color, would make the vehicle unique and more valuable.

I don't agree that the - - is simply a license to paint the car any color and represent it as a rare special paint car.