The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Evaporust tips & tricks (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163343)

scuncio 09-28-2020 07:48 PM

Evaporust tips & tricks

Seeing Steve mention soaking a driveshaft in a PVC tube of Evaporust made me wonder what other tips you folks have used to derust your projects. I'm in the process of derusting my Canadian L78 Camaro and some of the larger parts are tough to accommodate without wasting gallons of the stuff. I'd love to see any inventive ways you've developed...thanks!

X66 714 09-28-2020 08:07 PM

I'm getting ready to do my hood hinges. I would probably get a blanket storage container at Target. I purchase a 5 gallon on e-bay. Cheaper & free delivery. It stays better if you can put a lid on it. I did my driveshaft with a 4" pvc & caps on both ends. With new product it was over night & it looked like brand new tubing. It was an Arizona car so that too is different. I have small containers for small items. When the product gets old, I just change it....Joe

SS427 09-28-2020 09:11 PM

Whenever you are done using the product, ALWAYS strain the liquid through cheese cloth to pull all the rust particles and contaminants out of the liquid. According to the rep I talked to, he said that the product will continue to work (and wear out) if it has something to de-rust so eliminating those particles from the bottom of what ever container you are using will prolong the life of it. Same goes for using a sprayer, strain it before running it through the spray nozzle.

R68GTO 09-28-2020 10:20 PM

Get several sizes of pvc tubing for things from drive shafts to ebrake cables. Also, when using pvc for this process, stand it up in a 5-gallon bucket, just in case you didn't get a full glue seal on your cap - I learned the hard way and had to wipe up $20 worth of evaporust off my garage floor. I've also used heavy 6 mil industrial trash bags as evaporust containers. You can tie them tight to the part to reduce volume of Evaporust needed to do the job. Same as pvc/bucket trick, place it in a large plastic tub before walking away in case your part pokes a hole in the trash bag.

marxjunk 09-28-2020 11:48 PM

i use it on muncie gears that have gone dry and i love what it does to carbs..

NorCam 09-29-2020 12:45 AM

I've been using the stuff like Frank's red hot and put everything in it.

Stainless, chrome, rotors, calipers, suspension, driveshafts, hood hinges, rubber mounts, aluminum parts, die cast, brake cables, hollow hard lines and it's flat out excellent for cleaning seats belts without ever disturbing the ink on the dated tags or printed labels. Just be sure to rinse parts with soap and water right when they come out and blow them off with an air hose or give them a good wipe down.

I've used about 20 gallons of it in the past couple years and I'm ready for a new 5 gallon pail real soon. I buy it from Fastenal and have all kinds of different containers that I use it in. Get your hands on a long shallow goat feeding trough or window planters for those long items you want to soak. As above, you can get creative with 3" or 4" tubing with end caps glued on.

earntaz 09-29-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1516233)
I've been using the stuff like Frank's red hot and put everything in it.

Stainless, chrome, rotors, calipers, suspension, driveshafts, hood hinges, rubber mounts, aluminum parts, die cast, brake cables, hollow hard lines and it's flat out excellent for cleaning seats belts without ever disturbing the ink on the dated tags or printed labels. Just be sure to rinse parts with soap and water right when they come out and blow them off with an air hose or give them a good wipe down.

I've used about 20 gallons of it in the past couple years and I'm ready for a new 5 gallon pail real soon. I buy it from Fastenal and have all kinds of different containers that I use it in. Get your hands on a long shallow goat feeding trough or window planters for those long items you want to soak. As above, you can get creative with 3" or 4" tubing with end caps glued on.

Yup - PVC pipe for soaking a driveshaft ... works well ...

scuncio 09-29-2020 02:55 PM

Thanks guys, good stuff!

BCreekDave 09-29-2020 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trunk floor..as long as no holes!

NorCam 09-29-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCreekDave (Post 1516291)
Trunk floor..as long as no holes!

Oh yeah...the fresh stuff.