The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   COPO Nova Transmission (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124485)

STR8SS 10-21-2013 03:08 AM

COPO Nova Transmission

New member here.... just thought I would try and put a myth to bed.
I bought my Oshawa built L34 '69 Chevelle SS this past May... the PO told me that the M20 that is in the car now could have come from a '70 COPO Nova.
I read a while back that most of the '70 COPO Nova's were shipped to Yenko but 2 cars remained in Canada. I've also read that the '70 COPO Nova cars all had M21's???
Here is the info I have:

Casting: 3925661
Side Cover - 3952648
Tail Housing - 3857584
VIN - 10W199469
Date Code - POS24A

So it is an M20... with a Nov 24th build date which would make it for a 1971 model year...so that might shoot this myth down but I figured I'd give it a shot and ask you guys!

Thanks,
Chuck

WILMASBOYL78 10-21-2013 03:19 AM

Re: COPO Nova Transmission

The November date and the 70 model year designation in the tranny stamp mean it was assembled in the fall of 1969. The VIN is early in the production run which would line up with that date. The casting numbers on the parts you listed are correct for the 70 tranny.

Hope that helps...wilma

iluv69s 10-21-2013 01:57 PM

Isn't that early for the dueces?

mockingbird812 10-21-2013 02:20 PM

COPO Novas ('70) could be ordered with the TH400 or M21. I may have read that Pete Simpson's Cananadian delivered COPO Nova was an M20 car??? , but if a manual tranny was ordered, the rule is it would come from the factory with the close ratio, M21. A tranny build date of Nov '69 is most likely way too early for a Deuce as they were built at GM in two batches in late May and early June.

STR8SS 10-21-2013 03:41 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mockingbird812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may have read that Pete Simpson's Cananadian delivered COPO Nova was an M20 car???</div></div>
I figured that this would have been the case.
I did read a while ago that 2 of the '70 COPO cars were delivered in Canada. Is there any other way of narrowing down the origins of this tranny???
How would I go about contacting Pete?
I know this is probably a wild goose chase but it would be nice to rule it out if at all possible.

Thanks,
Chuck

WILMASBOYL78 10-21-2013 04:01 PM

If you think the tranny originated in a Canadian delivered car then why not just check with George at the Canadian GM Registry..run the VIN and see what comes up...that will tell the story.

wilma

STR8SS 10-21-2013 05:31 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WILMASBOYL78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think the tranny originated in a Canadian delivered car then why not just check with George at the Canadian GM Registry..run the VIN and see what comes up...that will tell the story.

wilma </div></div>

Good point... why didn't I think of that! :-)
I see what I can find out!!!

Chuck

Xplantdad 10-21-2013 07:31 PM

Chuck,

Pete is no longer with us (We miss you , PETE), but you can reach his sons by the COPO PETE Screen name [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Ryan1969Chevelle 10-21-2013 11:07 PM

Hi Chuck

Welcome to sYc, you will like it here.

Ryan

COPO PETE 10-21-2013 11:40 PM

MY Dads silver COPO NOVA was sold out of Central Chevrolet in London Ontario. As well as the green one.

I know for a fact Dads came with a M-20. I believe the green one did also.

The salesmen ( dave mathers) ordered them specifically with the M-20.

I know where the original M--20 is that came out of the Silver car. The guy wont sell it, dad had tried for years to buy it, But it went through a shop fire...

Im not too sure about the dates on what you have. The Green car was crushed 25+ years ago as it rotted away too nothing. I have no idea what happened to the drive line.

Hopefully this helps.

OWEN.