The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Garage Floor Epoxy? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168385)

TMagda 08-13-2021 04:57 PM

Garage Floor Epoxy?

Can anyone recommend a higher quality garage floor epoxy suitable for DIY? I have seen many bad reviews of the big box store stuff and do understand prep is everything. I can also tell they almost all fail over time. I have seen 2 well known car guys, who both do things right, complain online about their floors failing. I just moved and my new garage floor is painted and slippery as ice. Need to correct ASAP. Thanks in advance.

RogerD 08-13-2021 05:14 PM

Add a topcoat (best guess on match) with “non slip additive” in it:biggthumpup:
You are stuck with what’s been applied, most likely not epoxy :(

Do the prep:biggthumpup:
Old bare floor/new bare floor (new concrete cure 60~90 days)
1. Clean oil spots with solvent, lacquer thinner, acetone etc
2. Wash with hot soapy water
3. Etch with Muratic acid to neutralize active alkali
4. Flush with clean water, dry several days then apply quality 2 component epoxy
Pittsburg, Benjamin Moore, Pratt & Lambert, maybe Lowe’s :biggthumpup:
This is old school, P&L commercial recommendation, new stuff may vary :biggthumpup:
Worked for P&L about 15 years :biggthumpup:
Not up to date on new gen eurathane floor paints, read the label :)

L72copocamaro 08-14-2021 04:10 PM

You could also have the floor sand or shot blasted and start over.

southernfriedcj 08-15-2021 12:09 PM

The GarageJournal.com actually has a garage flooring subforum. They have beat the subject to death. It's the end all of garage flooring/coating.

There are also manufacturers of coatings that post on the forum.

TMagda 08-16-2021 03:15 PM

Thanks. I was planning to grind it and start over. I'll check garage journal.

Crush 08-16-2021 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with GJ recommendation
I went w staind concrete w an epoxy clear in one area and went with racedeck in another
Happy w both

firstgenaddict 08-16-2021 05:55 PM

Most of the big box kits come with citric acid to etch ---
I used the rustoleum epoxy kit I tossed the citric and used muratic make sure to follow the instructions religiously - I had to wash the floor with a pressure washer 2 times to get rid of the residue. Make sure to do the test using a piece of plastic taped down to test the moisture in the floor.

FWIW My father dropped a tractor scrape blade from 36" onto my floor and it didn't chip the epoxy. I have had one place to release less than 1" square where I left battery acid on the surface -- and it pulled the floated concrete top off with the epoxy.

I used the valspar grit additive and did not use the colored chips in mine as I wanted a light color which offered a contrast to bolts etc dropped on the floor.

Lynn 08-16-2021 06:25 PM

James; how about some pics?

My only beef with racedeck is that I want to be able to wash the floor from time to time and just squeegee it off. Spills are inevitable for me (maybe I am just a klutz).

Steve Shauger 08-16-2021 06:39 PM

I used a Home Depot epoxy product 20 years ago, but dont recall the name. I recently thoroughly cleaned and sanded the floor and applied the rustoleum( 2 months ago). Looks great but don't know about durability at this point.

Crush 08-16-2021 07:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1559452)
James; how about some pics?

My only beef with racedeck is that I want to be able to wash the floor from time to time and just squeegee it off. Spills are inevitable for me (maybe I am just a klutz).

The area I use the racedeck is an area I don’t work on cars. I know you can get the RD in solid large squares that is easy to clean from what I understand.

The epoxy brand I used is Ghostshield and is a 2 part process. I have been very happy with it
The pics show the floor in the cleaning process and then sealed