The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Preservation forum (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Cleaning Comfort Weave seats... (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150932)

firstgenaddict 09-21-2018 06:46 PM

Cleaning Comfort Weave seats...

9 Attachment(s)
Comfort weave seats are actual individual tied little knots and thus the seats are EXTREMELY porous, they will take in everything that is spilled on them, every bit of oil grime and grease on your clothes or skin... PLUS years of Armour All and whatever else lands on them...

Because the REAL comfort weave is not manufactured any longer, the ability to refurbish original seats becomes even more important for original cars.
I had done a 69 SS Convertible with Dlx interior which came out beautifully so I knew the possibilities.

First I used a foaming bathroom cleaner(KABOOM or Scrubbing Bubbles), Spray on then using an old toothbrush lightly brush in small circles, side ways and back and forth.
Then using dilute 30 volume peroxide and a non foaming detergent pre-treat the comfort weave, NEXT extract everything with steam and commercial carpet vacuum until the extracted water runs clear... (it has an acrylic window so you can see what is being extracted.)

The first set are of my 71 corvette seats, the second are some Neutral Comfort weave for the 73 RSLTZ I am restoring.

ZLP955 09-22-2018 02:31 AM

Nice work - patience and persistence really pays off.

RSSSfan 07-30-2019 04:16 PM

I have a set in my 69 that have some wear on them - there is a small tear along the bolster of the driver's seat where the piping connects. Any suggestions to keep the tear from progressing?

I also have an issue with the foam underlayment under the comfortweave breaking down. It doesn't have the "puff" to it anymore like it did when new. Would love to find an old-school upholstery guy who could restore the padding under the original fabric. This fabric is surprisingly tough.

napa68 07-30-2019 05:38 PM

Nice work an write up James!

McCune 07-30-2019 06:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Great info James! I have been dreading getting anything on my seats because they look like they will hold on to everything that touches them.

These are my 73 Camaro Z28 seats that my upholster made from NOS comfortweave. The NOS material is very coarse to the touch.

BCreekDave 07-30-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCune (Post 1457370)
Great info James! I have been dreading getting anything on my seats because they look like they will hold on to everything that touches them.

These are my 73 Camaro Z28 seats that my upholster made from NOS comfortweave. The NOS material is very coarse to the touch.

Is the NOS material different than the original? I have a couple of yards coming to redo my drivers and rear seat back. The passenger seat is perfect, 0 wear or stains. Is there even a chance of a match? I don't mind a little off, just don't want it to be extreme.

Nice write-up James. All good stuff and keep it coming.

McCune 08-03-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCreekDave (Post 1457379)
Is the NOS material different than the original?.

It looks exactly like my my 46 year old seats, just has a very aggressive grip to it. I think a few times sitting and sliding on the seats will knock it down pretty quick.

BCreekDave 08-03-2019 02:05 PM

Thanks,
Who stitched yours up?

McCune 08-03-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCreekDave (Post 1457795)
Thanks,
Who stitched yours up?

Stitch Craft in St George Utah.