The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Pontiac (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Chris “Originals” 1966 GTO survivior! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156376)

Xplantdad 08-04-2019 09:26 PM

Chris “Originals” 1966 GTO survivior!

18 Attachment(s)
Another brand of vintage Muscle Car.

An unrestored “True Survivor” - Factory Cameo Ivory Paint with Red pinstripe, Factory interior and complete OEM powertrain.

I came into possession of this 1966 Pontiac GTO in 1991. I actually first discovered it in 1980 sitting on a used car lot in San Jose, Ca. but was unable to secure it and shortly after it disappeared.
At this time the Factory Paint was beautiful.

My lucky day came on 7-24-91 when at my work in the field I accidentally found it stored on the side of a house. The owner had covered the interior with thick cardboard but left the exterior (for about 3 years) exposed causing some sun bake on the topside.
I attached a note on the car and within a week it was mine.

Built at the Fremont Ca. General Motors plant in the second week of January 1966.

Special order YR code (Tri-Power, Automatic) of which only 1759 were produced in 66.
It’s very rare to find one that still retains all the Factory Vacuum linkage (most of these cars were switched to mechanical linkage early on) because of the intricate operation.

Because this GTO was sold New in California it required the #614 option that consisted of a “Closed” PCV system (sealed oil filler cap with hoses to air cleaners) to recirculated the fumes.

Hope you enjoy this Survivor, Chris

markinnaples 08-04-2019 10:14 PM

Nice survivor, in the true sense of the word. Love 66's

mockingbird812 08-04-2019 10:38 PM

Oh that is a beauty alright. Love the combo of color. Big congrats and thanks for sharing Chris!! :drool:

olredalert 08-04-2019 11:13 PM

----Plumbers nightmare under the hood, but very very cool!!!...….Bill S

duskblue 08-04-2019 11:32 PM

Very nice, love that interior.

NorCam 08-05-2019 12:42 AM

Great car. I love the 66/67 GTO's. Thanks for sharing a great story on the car.

Steve Shauger 08-05-2019 02:17 AM

Chris, what a fantastic car. Very much appreciate you sharing it with us :beers:

napa68 08-05-2019 04:48 PM

Love it!!!!!

WILMASBOYL78 08-05-2019 04:59 PM

Gto...

Very cool car...thanks for sharing. :beers:

Is an M30 a 2 speed auto??

-wilma

ScottG 08-05-2019 05:16 PM

Nice !!!

WILMASBOYL78 08-05-2019 06:23 PM

Gto...

Very cool car...thanks for sharing. :beers:

Is an M30 a 2 speed auto??

-wilma

60sStuff 08-05-2019 08:53 PM

Thank you to (all the above) kind replies.

WILMASBOYL78,

Yes, the M30 is Pontiacs version of the 2 speed automatic transmission that came in this GTO.

Thanks, Chris.

GM-26 08-10-2019 06:12 PM

Here in Long Island, there would be crowds around that GTO wherever you would go.

1967Z28 08-11-2019 01:09 AM

Neat car, Chris. Nice job of rescuing it and thanks for sharing the story and pics.

grantprix 04-26-2021 04:03 AM

Where was this hiding?

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but it may have had something to do with me being preoccupied with a certain newly acquired '67 GTO at the time. Sorry, Chris!

I was in this very garage last weekend and got to see this bitchin' '66 along with his beautiful '65. The natural patina of the exterior of this car is so cool and that only a true survivor can wear. Then you open the door and take a whiff of that beautiful Red Morrokide upholstery, what a great smell it has and that which I've only experienced with these era Pontiac interiors. And of course under the hood is something that you'll rarely, if ever see again... an original and fully operational vacuum operated tri-power 389.

And for an added treat, I also got to see the old parking lot in Livermore where this very car was sold new from.

These are the types of cars that get the attention at the cruise nights over the restored cars.

67since67 04-26-2021 05:26 AM

I also missed this awesome GTO thread the first time around, what a fantastic time warp in one of my favorite color combos!!

The M30 trans is also know as a ST (Super Turbine) 300. I rebuilt a couple of them during my tenure as a dealership trans tech a LOONG time ago. I always felt that it was a superior 2 speed trans compared to the Powerglide, like a TH400 minus second gear.

Thanks for sharing!!

Bill W

60sStuff 04-27-2021 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantprix (Post 1546101)
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but it may have had something to do with me being preoccupied with a certain newly acquired '67 GTO at the time. Sorry, Chris!

I was in this very garage last weekend and got to see this bitchin' '66 along with his beautiful '65. The natural patina of the exterior of this car is so cool and that only a true survivor can wear. Then you open the door and take a whiff of that beautiful Red Morrokide upholstery, what a great smell it has and that which I've only experienced with these era Pontiac interiors. And of course under the hood is something that you'll rarely, if ever see again... an original and fully operational vacuum operated tri-power 389.

And for an added treat, I also got to see the old parking lot in Livermore where this very car was sold new from.

These are the types of cars that get the attention at the cruise nights over the restored cars.

Grant,

It was great to have you over after all these years and discuss Survivor cars and parts from the “60’s”.

A keen eye like yours scrutinizing my “Stuff” is welcome.

Chris.

60sStuff 04-27-2021 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1546109)
I also missed this awesome GTO thread the first time around, what a fantastic time warp in one of my favorite color combos!!

The M30 trans is also know as a ST (Super Turbine) 300. I rebuilt a couple of them during my tenure as a dealership trans tech a LOONG time ago. I always felt that it was a superior 2 speed trans compared to the Powerglide, like a TH400 minus second gear.

Thanks for sharing!!

Bill W

Bill,

That’s the correct term, ST 300 for the GTO, which gets confused with the Powerglide a lot.

Chris.

60sStuff 04-27-2021 03:29 AM

Factory Interior

11 Attachment(s)
Red Morrokide.

A “Good Value Used Car”.

I’m still amazed this interior looks like this after 120,000+ miles and at least 5 owners.
It proves that if owners take good care of an automobile, it will last a long time.

The first photo shows a factory AM-FM that I temporarily installed, but I soon reinstalled the born with push button AM radio.

If you ordered Wonder Touch Power Brakes, all the pedals received stainless trim.

Check both white A-pillars showing red overspray from the dash.

Mr. John Kennedy was the Original Owner.

Bill Pritchard 04-27-2021 01:53 PM

What a stunning car, congrats on being such a great steward keeping it well preserved.

67since67 04-27-2021 02:04 PM

Interesting that the '66 GTO used the enclosed belt retractor which Chevelle didn't get until '67. That interior is spectacular!!

60sStuff 04-27-2021 03:41 PM

A few more of the interior

13 Attachment(s)
A year after I purchased this GTO I took a chance and called information asking for a phone number of Mr. Kennedy at the address on the POP.

BINGO, he was still at that address.
I called and a lady answered. I introduced myself and asked her if they had owned a white ‘66 GTO which I happened to be next to in my garage.

She paused, and called her husband John. Honey, there’s a guy on the phone that says he has our old GTO.
John gets on the phone and was shocked. I briefly told him my story on finding this car and asked if I could drive down from Fremont to SJ to see him.

Me and my daughter pull up in front of their house and John and his wife come walking out shaking their heads with disbelief.
They had thought this car was long gone.

As John is telling me stories, his wife goes to their garage and then walks back to me with this stuffed toy “TIGGER” the tiger.
She said this toy was in the back seat of this GTO on the showroom floor when they purchased the car. WOW!

She said their kids never played with it and she just kept it.
Would you like to have it? Yes Ma’am.
It now resides in that back seat, again.

This car came with the small sail panels next to the rear window.
A few months later the rest of 66 and 67 came with the large sail panels.

I love the Roof Rail & Reading lamp option.

The RH bucket seat has a safety catch which helps hold the seat back in place when not occupied.
I’ve only seen this (special bumper and spring clip) on a few ‘66 cars.

One year only - 1966 Real Wood appliqué.
The other years used an imitation wood on the GTO.

The illustration shows a round plastic spacer behind the radio bezels to protect the wood.

Chris.

Keith Seymore 04-27-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1546304)
Interesting that the '66 GTO used the enclosed belt retractor which Chevelle didn't get until '67.

I'd have to check but I think my '65 GTO uses those same retractors.

K

gto19 ? 04-27-2021 07:38 PM

Beautiful car ! Love it

60sStuff 05-15-2021 01:28 AM

“red”

10 Attachment(s)
One year only, 1966.

If a ‘66 GTO was ordered with the Optional Rally I wheels, you would also get Red painted brake drums.

The first 4 photos show a ‘66 GTO in 1966 getting ready for a date.
Cameo Ivory with Red interior and Red pinstripes rolling on Rally I’s with Redline tires.

Photo 5 is my twin to the above.

For now, I’ve installed the Optional Kelsey-Hayes Aluminum front brake drums.

I kept the Original cast iron front drums showing their factory Red paint.

60sStuff 05-15-2021 04:31 AM

8 Attachment(s)
A closer look at the rare Aluminum Drum.

Offered for two years (65-66) on the GTO as an option.

I have a bright Red pair currently on the car, a pair of bare aluminum drums and a single still wearing its old Red paint. This one must have come from a ‘66 GTO with Rally I’s.

Drum weights held in place with a Phillips head screw.

Kelsey-Hayes sure made a lot of things from Aluminum.

Chris.

60sStuff 08-13-2021 01:37 AM

1966 Screamer

6 Attachment(s)
I took the RXR for a spin today and it ran like a top.

Love the sound of those six barrels screaming.

I recently found an old vintage plate frame for the front. Matches the car perfectly.

Born with T-3 and dated outside mirror.
12-DMI-5 (Donnelly Mirror Inc. Dec. 1965).

60sStuff 08-13-2021 01:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Did you know?

Many are unaware of the different outside door handles.

For a Tempest Series car the 1964 and 1965 handles are noticeably thick.

On a 1966 and 1967 the handles are thin.

When I stand between my cars and grab both handles, there is a big difference.

Most everyone thinks they are all the same and sells them that way.

Chris.

Calix Lee 08-13-2021 02:51 AM

This is an information feed, I like to go through the photo and check out the ideas you have included in this post.

I like the choice of wheels, this reminds me of some classic-looking wheels I've seen in stores like 4WheelOnline.

chevelleheart 08-13-2021 10:21 AM

Just a stunning car , with fabulous history . Congrats

Crush 08-13-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sStuff (Post 1558970)
Did you know?

Many are unaware of the different outside door handles.

For a Tempest Series car the 1964 and 1965 handles are noticeably thick.

On a 1966 and 1967 the handles are thin.

When I stand between my cars and grab both handles, there is a big difference.

Most everyone thinks they are all the same and sells them that way.

Chris.

Why were they different? Made by different suppliers?

60sStuff 08-13-2021 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 1559010)
Why were they different? Made by different suppliers?

I’m not sure why the change was made, but it wasn’t different suppliers.

They have different part numbers as shown in the MPC.

gto19 ? 08-14-2021 04:58 PM

Car looks awesome! Where did you find the cool vintage frame ?

60sStuff 08-14-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gto19 ? (Post 1559179)
Car looks awesome! Where did you find the cool vintage frame ?

Thank you.

On line auction.

60sStuff 08-14-2021 11:56 PM

66-67 Door edge guards

4 Attachment(s)
The Pontiac Tempest Series cars offered Stainless Steel door edge guards from the factory, or dealer installed.

In 1966 there were two different guards offered, early and late. I think the “early” was an oops in design.

The early long version (22’’) that was used on the first ‘66 cars went from the GTO pinstripe down to the bottom of the door.
This guard is rarely seen.

I’m certain the reason for the “shorter” guard, which started around the first 1/4 of the 66 build was the upcoming design of the ‘67 GTO with it’s outside lower door trim.
This new ‘67 trim on the GTO would interfere with the long door edge guard, plus the backside mounting hole for that trim would be where the bottom tab is on that long guard.

My ‘66 did not have the guards, but I temporarily held the first design long version to the door showing how they would look.

60sStuff 08-28-2021 02:08 AM

Optional Rally I Wheel

10 Attachment(s)
The Rally I wheel was first offered in 1965 and continued through 1968 on the Tempest Series Models (Tempest, Lemans, GTO).

The style of this wheel, with it’s 6 flared slots, center cap with a stainless steel dish and chrome center cone was a favorite choice.

In addition there was a unique brushed stainless trim ring and special lug nuts.

In 1965 the stainless center cap “dish” was fully polished and the center cone had a black painted ring on top.
In 1966-68 the lower part of the dish was painted semi-gloss and the chrome cone did not have the black painted ring on top. 1966 wheel is shown.

The initial brushed trim ring that came from the factory was a full 2-1/8’’ deep.
This ring was designed to go deep, past the painted slots on the wheels without scaring the paint.
These are extremely hard to find.

There was a later brushed trim ring that came out in 1967-68 that was only 2 inches deep and was meant for the Rally II Wheel.
This 2” ring when installed on the earlier Rally I would hit the edge of the 6 slots and damage the silver paint.

I’ve measured and set a level on both style rings which shows the difference in depth.

The wheel lug nut is also unique for this Rally I wheel.
It is a solid chrome (Not a S/S capped nut) Hex Crown as shown.
These are also very difficult to find.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, in 1966 Only if these wheels were ordered you would get Red painted brake drums.

60sStuff 09-24-2021 07:45 PM

RED Brake Drums

6 Attachment(s)
I failed to speak about the application of the Red paint on these ‘66 drums.
It’s quite interesting.

It was a rolling process on the assembly line when a Tempest Series car was being built with the Rally I wheels.
The Red paint was slathered onto the brake drum, bearing dust cap and lug studs, then the Rally wheel was mounted to the wet Red paint which resulted in the dripping mess on the inside of rim as the wheel was turned.

A couple examples shown.

The first 4 photos are of my ‘66 Red paint application.
Another ‘66 with the wheel now in the trunk as a spare.

PS, I doubt you will see this on a restored car.

scuncio 09-24-2021 08:01 PM

Kind of expected when you ask a plant guy to paint some oily drums on a car moving at line speed. :) Must have been a low enough runner that it didn't make sense to have prepainted red drums on the line.

NorCam 09-25-2021 01:27 PM

Amazing car and love that you found the original owners. Absolutely love it.

And thank you for the lessons on many of the early 66 GTO features.