The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   From Within GM Camaro-Again At Risk. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151746)

70 copo 11-08-2018 12:06 PM

From Within GM Camaro-Again At Risk.

From my contacts at Tech... The next refresh for Camaro has been placed on hold indefinitely.

All current design and engineering focus has shifted to Electric and driverless vehicles.

Mary Barra has told senior staff that sales must improve "or the car is gone".

As of now no new Product identified for Lansing Grand River Assembly after 2022

BCreekDave 11-08-2018 12:26 PM

I think the 2019 version is going to kill it. Not an inspired design at all.
I think they are going like Ford to drop all conventional car designs in favor of CUV's-SUV's and hybrids-electric vehicles.

rlw68 11-08-2018 12:43 PM

Yea my neighbors Tesla model S will smoke my Z in the 0-60mph but it aint nearly as fun to drive :) imho. He pays a LOT more property tax every year too lol.

Postsedan 11-08-2018 12:43 PM

Sad

Dan

70 copo 11-08-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCreekDave (Post 1420991)
I think the 2019 version is going to kill it. Not an inspired design at all.
I think they are going like Ford to drop all conventional car designs in favor of CUV's-SUV's and hybrids-electric vehicles.

History repeats.

Back in 96 the same thing happened. The bean counters managed the decline of the car starting in 1996 when the same “at risk” talk started. The 1998 refresh gave the car a Sebring front end look to match the Celica look out back.

They created the conditions for failure.

markinnaples 11-08-2018 01:56 PM

The cycle of life at GM; once the bean counters take over, everything gets drilled down to the sales and profits. Just the way things go I guess.

Steve Shauger 11-08-2018 02:45 PM

The Mustang seems to be selling quite nicely, so there is a market. With information like this getting out it will help kill a product. Yes there will be loyalist who will campaign to keep it, but this is just a bad strategy. :thumbsdown:

For clarification this was not directed towards the original poster. As far as aesthetics, the Mustang is a much more appealing car to me.

seventieshow 11-08-2018 03:13 PM

"The Mustang seems to be selling quite nicely, so there is a market..."

But that market is just so large and the Camaro is more expensive and the people I know, and myself, are not fans of the styling. The front end on the 2019 car, the SS in particular, is just plain ugly to me. A shame, because the Alpha platform and the cars performance is impressive.

carnut4life 11-08-2018 05:06 PM

I've been a GM guy my whole life but the 5th and 6th gen Camaro's are by far the least attractive of the new late model pony cars imo. When word of the 6th generation Camaro came around I was really hoping the design queues would resemble the 2nd gen Camaro instead of the 1st gens again but was sadly disappointed. I've long thought the 2nd gen cars had a much better chance to have a successful retro design created in their likeness but it looks like that will never happen.

70 copo 11-08-2018 05:12 PM

GM actually cut $2000 dollars off of the car to make it more competitive on cost against the Mustang, but since GM has no advertising budget for the car few know about it.