The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Oil pressure pegged (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151053)

Dave Rifkin 09-30-2018 01:37 PM

Oil pressure pegged

Yesterday I took my 1969 Corvette out on a Marine's sponsored Toys 4 Tots run. Had the car up to 85 ish on the highway, running great. Had to deal with a lot of traffic getting into the event, which did not make the car very happy. Temp gauge got to 210 and she felt like it was loading up; possibly the beginnings of vapor lock.

Anyway, the ride home was uneventful but, this morning when I went to take it out for another ride I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was pegged. I was only heading down my street, maybe 15 mph. When I let off the gas and let it idle the needle sat between 35 and 70.
Normally the gauge reads 35 when I am driving and never gets anywhere near 70. I immediately brought it home. I checked the oil, it's full and clean.

Any ideas what the cause could be and/or what I should do?

Big Block Bill 09-30-2018 01:43 PM

Oil pressure pegged

Until you test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, it's a crap shoot/guessing game. As Snap On Tools moto goes: "Test, Don't Guess". Could be the pressure regulator valve in the oil pump has stuck or the spring broke into pieces.

Bill

Dave Rifkin 09-30-2018 02:55 PM

Well that doesn't sound good. I am not a mechanic so I don't have the tools or knowledge to perform such a test. Is it safe to drive it a few miles to a local shop like it is?

BTL 09-30-2018 03:57 PM

I am an optimist. Best case is your gauge has become a little inaccurate, not sure if you have a sending unit? or directly to your gauge.However as stated you should have an independent mechanical gauge hooked up to read the actual pressure.

Big Block Bill 09-30-2018 05:13 PM

Oil pressure pegged

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rifkin (Post 1416481)
Well that doesn't sound good. I am not a mechanic so I don't have the tools or knowledge to perform such a test. Is it safe to drive it a few miles to a local shop like it is?

If it truly is 80 lbs. of oil pressure as your gauge reads, you risk blowing the oil filter off the engine with prolonged use.

Bill

Mr.Nickey Nova 09-30-2018 05:38 PM

Was your car up to operating temp when you noticed your pressure?? Oil pressure is always higher when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, it should come down to a lower pressure. My Camaro is always around 70 lbs. when cold and then drops down once it warms up to about 45 to 50 lbs. when driving. At idle it's around 30 lbs. when hot...

dustinm 10-01-2018 01:09 AM

What does the gauge read with key on and engine off?

TWB 10-01-2018 02:52 AM

The 68-73 corvette oil gauge is very susceptible to corrosion at the pivot points. Can be fixed. Not a problem. If you are willing to pull it out send a PM and I will get you through it.

Dave Rifkin 10-01-2018 12:18 PM

Probably won't get an opportunity to drive the car until next weekend sometime. I think I will let it warm up completely and watch the gauge. Hopefully it will come down to a normal range.
If not, I am going to change the oil and possibly replace the oil pressure gauge.

BCreekDave 10-01-2018 12:45 PM

Might be prudent to pull the filter and open it up to look for metal. Probably the gauge but you never know.