The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   COPO - United States (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Introducing........RAT’S NEST (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149308)

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-19-2018 02:04 AM

LoL
the audacity of some little tiny mouse sneaking into the big bad rat nest !
they just wanted to be a rock star for a little while

I dont know all its heritage - if it has a Big Time winning record local legend on the track - i'd maybe go with Race trim.

If it had a chrysler transmission and a ford rear axle with tubs - i'd go back with Race trim.

Just personally - i'd want a LeMans Blue 4spd COPO first and foremost.
with a rear spoiler, white stripes, and 427 Call-Outs
probably a personalized license plate COPO-427
real low profile and everything. :wink:

True story on that Black/Gold pilot/proto deal - report is they did 2 of them.
No sin rocking that scheme while getting all the pedals back in place and sourcing at least some type of 12bolt axle.

OR

have just the stripes masked/sprayed over in white.
Black /White stripes is really my favorite combo all in all.
Might get less of the " hey thats so&so's old Black/Gold Camaro you're driving aint it "

bbbentley 06-19-2018 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R68GTO (Post 1405026)
[I]
And saw where Black with Gold stripes was the original 69 Camaro ZL-1 pilot/proto paint scheme.
Now why did you have to tell me that? I am already confused enough on what to do with the car... sell it, ...!:confused2:

THAT option above is only viable if I am known in the equation as “buyer”?

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-19-2018 03:38 AM

pfffft
that car wouldnt bring enough to pay somebody to mow the lawn !

Quit getting Bentley's hopes up :bs:

R68GTO 06-21-2018 01:57 AM

Prior owner photos

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some more photos from prior owners...
Black/gold paint is from owner #7 in the early 1980's. This was taken shortly after he acquired the car. He had not yet added the drip rail trim or removed the big tach on the dash.
The guy washing the car is owner #5. He added the keystones.
The last photo is from owner #2 with the car on his trailer. This would have been 1971/72, prior to accumulating the all speed part stickers

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-21-2018 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So lucky with these previous owners and their pictures/stories.

Like those Keystones.
Thats what most guys in my area were running on 69 Camaros back in the 70's-80's-90's.

This is my favorite non-stock Keystone look.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/attachmen...1&d=1529608796

R68GTO 06-21-2018 11:23 PM

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Keystone Classics, but those pictures you posted BVZ are just Bad A$$!

69LM1 06-21-2018 11:39 PM

I am a fan of the Keystones!

/Rich

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-22-2018 12:54 AM

After highschool a friend had a Red/White/White 69 Camaro Vert.
Keystones with white letter tires almost that wide - similar stance etc...
Car was a dead solid P@ssy Magnet / Sex Pistol with a hair trigger.

It was all we could do to keep from hating that sumvabich. :mad:

Car looked like a Valentine Card on steroids , laced with Aqua Velva and English Leather.

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-23-2018 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R68GTO (Post 1405406)
.. but those pictures ...

Now i know why that was plural , only posted 1 picture there.
Turns out just about every picture i have posted on here so far is double posting onto threads. lol

My user settings don't display pics when i'm logged in.
Came on w/o logging in and saw the mess.

Will try to prevent it , going forward.
sorry for all that

ZLP955 06-23-2018 09:36 AM

Great story, love the suspense as the story builds.....
And that car with the Keystones looks just perfect.

NorCam 06-30-2018 02:22 PM

Just read this thread and gotta say congrats on the find. Since the entire drive line is MIA, IMO it would make a great throwback car to it's earlier life and the semi original paint scheme. Restore it back as a 427 street machine with these colors. It's totally deserving of that. Or sell it to me and I'll do that. :biggthumpup:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1529097735

Copo_Cartel 07-01-2018 12:24 AM

You have a great car I love that history especially watching it do what it was made to do congratulations on your find and the future with the car can’t wait to see the car

R68GTO 07-01-2018 01:10 AM

Thanks guys! I had a great day today.....my brother and I took the car to the home of the 2nd owner's son so he could see the car again for the first time since around 1974. The guy that painted the car red/white/blue was also there today - those two still hang out and race together nearly 45 years later.
I flipped him the keys and told them to go have fun with just two rules....don't blow it up or wreck it......other than that, go have fun! We spent a couple of hours together and I learned some more interesting stuff on the car's history. I'll post some more tomorrow when I have time to download some pics.

69LM1 07-01-2018 02:24 PM

That's awesome to see someone's face light up when they get to see their old battlewagon again. You probably gave him a great memory. Stand up thing to do considering these cars value today.

/Rich

R68GTO 07-01-2018 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You should have seen his mother's face when we rolled up in her driveway! She was there the day they picked the car up. She took her husband to get the car in her 69 Z28 (Cortez/black stripes). She said her husband complained when they got home that he couldn't keep up with her in her Z because he couldn't get any traction with those skinny 14" tires!
She originally thought the car we were in was her old Z, when her son told her it was the blue car, she about fell over.

R68GTO 07-03-2018 11:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One of the first questions the 2nd owner's son had after we arrived was "is there a dent in the floor pan under the back seat on the drivers side? When I told him there was, he proceeded to tell me that his Dad blew a driveshaft during a run and it hit the floor pan so hard that it dislodged the rear seat from the bracket on the driver side.
I was also able to confirm that they had added the engine torques bracket to the front subframe. I assumed a piece of chain was used between the bracket and the engine, but was told that they used a piece of flat stock instead of chain. I guess I need to ditch the chain I added and make a piece of flat stock!
Below is a photo of the 2nd owner's son holding his Dad's helmet that was painted to match the car & photos of the same guy with the guy that painted the car back in 1971. Just a note on the year.....while going through some other photos they had of the car just out of paint, the Kodak paper on the back has a 5/70. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't 1970 when the car was painted? I'll do a separate post about the scrap book he loaned to me.....lots of cool stuff in there too.:cool2:
One of these days I'll figure out how to get these photos rotated correctly:frown:

The Boss 07-04-2018 02:06 PM

The cars are cool but it's the stories we get with them that are great!

R68GTO 07-04-2018 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As part of the scrap book, there was a pencil tracing from the photo that I posted earlier in this thread of RAT'S NEST leaving the starting line. I asked them what that tracing was done for? The son stated that he gave that to the tombstone-maker to have that image of the car engraved on his tombstone (2006 timeframe)! He asked if we could take the car out to the cemetery, which of course, we did. This car obviously was a big part of their family even though it was sold almost 34 years earlier!
As BOSS stated in the above post, it's the story that is the coolest. I just feel great having given this family a way to reminisce about their husband/father/friend that obviously meant a lot to them.
It is a little surreal that this car I bought to clone into an RS-Z28 has turned out to be a COPO that an image of it is engraved on a headstone in southern Ohio.

The Boss 07-04-2018 11:07 PM

Damn!

mockingbird812 07-05-2018 12:35 AM

Great story!:headbang:

Baron Von Zeppelin 07-05-2018 02:17 AM

Man that is some extra-extra wild stuff .
Tombstone is well done and over-the-top awesome.

These COPO's must have some kind of gypsy magic in them.

When i was doing a lot of previous reading in the archives of this COPO section , there was another "lucky unknown find" story where a woman had previously owned it for a couple of decades.

She died gradually with cancer, and having her 69 Camaro on her tombstone was one of her requests. And it was done.

Car was originally 4spd Orange/Orange Dogbite.
Had been painted Black with some mild custom accents in mid 70's.

carnut4life 07-08-2018 11:08 PM

Hi R68GTO,

Kinda freaky how many similarities our cars and stories have in common. Glad to hear you're you having lucky tracking down it's history and meeting previous owners, that's always my favorite part of having a old car. Congratulations, Chad

R68GTO 07-08-2018 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the late 1960's, the 2nd owner campaigned an L79 Nova post car. Here's a scan of one of the scrapbook pages with some photos. The top photo shows him in the far lane at the US Nationals going up against Grumpy's Toy. According to his racing partner, his buddy had the jump on Jenkins but broke a valve spring during the run and ultimately got beat as this photo shows.
The smaller photo in the upper left shows my car's 2nd owner checking out his new race car....if you look closely you can see the signature chrome dual opposed snorkel L79 air cleaner.

R68GTO 07-08-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnut4life (Post 1407378)
Hi R68GTO,

Kinda freaky how many similarities our cars and stories have in common. Glad to hear you're you having lucky tracking down it's history and meeting previous owners, that's always my favorite part of having a old car. Congratulations, Chad

Chad, your post prompted me to re-read your car's story.....wow, there are quite a few similarities. Maybe someday I'll find out who my car's OO was, although it doesn't sound like he had it very long.
Jim

carnut4life 07-09-2018 03:29 AM

I sure hope you do Jim, I love hearing about and reading stories like this. Best of luck, Chad

67BelAir427 07-10-2018 07:12 PM

Great story and research on owner history ! I have a question, and I am in no way attempting to dampen the spirit or be critical in any way. The difference between the price you paid and the actual value of the car on the day you took delivery, I assume is not a small amount ? There was a landmark court case here in Canada where a sale was reversed because the purchaser was slightly more knowledgable than the seller . The amount was less than $5000 . Seeing as we all have had our "great score" stories, but few have been as fortunate to have one as spectacular as yours, I just wondered if you were at all concerned that the seller might have remorse and want it back ? Or ask you for more money ? With our litigation prone society and the internet I just wondered if it was a concern?

big gear head 07-10-2018 07:49 PM

I noticed that you got a curved neck radiator for it.

R68GTO 07-10-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67BelAir427 (Post 1407615)
Great story and research on owner history ! I have a question, and I am in no way attempting to dampen the spirit or be critical in any way. The difference between the price you paid and the actual value of the car on the day you took delivery, I assume is not a small amount ? There was a landmark court case here in Canada where a sale was reversed because the purchaser was slightly more knowledgable than the seller . The amount was less than $5000 . Seeing as we all have had our "great score" stories, but few have been as fortunate to have one as spectacular as yours, I just wondered if you were at all concerned that the seller might have remorse and want it back ? Or ask you for more money ? With our litigation prone society and the internet I just wondered if it was a concern?

It's not a concern of mine for a couple of reasons....1) I myself was not sure what the car was when I bought it. 2) the owner openly discussed with me the possibility of it being a COPO car several times over the years including the day I bought it. Several years prior, he had a "local expert" check it out for that very reason and was told it was not. He had ample opportunity to get on the internet and do some homework.
I know the guy and like him very much, and will likely pay him a visit if/when I sell the car - if my investment total is significantly lower than the selling price. Tough to do these days.....as the saying goes "ya know how to make a small fortune selling collector cars? Start with a large fortune!"

cook_dw 07-11-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67BelAir427 (Post 1407615)
There was a landmark court case here in Canada where a sale was reversed because the purchaser was slightly more knowledgable than the seller . The amount was less than $5000 . Seeing as we all have had our "great score" stories, but few have been as fortunate to have one as spectacular as yours, I just wondered if you were at all concerned that the seller might have remorse and want it back ? Or ask you for more money ? With our litigation prone society and the internet I just wondered if it was a concern?

Are you serious..??.. That is one of the dumbest court cases I have heard of in a while.. Shame on the seller for not doing their homework.. He agreed to the selling price originally. Suck it up buttercup and learn from your life lesson. What is this world coming to..

Now in the case of this car like I have seen with others in the past local to me if a car was purchased cheap and then flipped for considerably more money MOST people with a conscious will go back to the previous seller and give a little "kickback".

Tracker1 07-11-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cook_dw (Post 1407704)
Are you serious..??.. That is one of the dumbest court cases I have heard of in a while.. Shame on the seller for not doing their homework.. He agreed to the selling price originally. Suck it up buttercup and learn from your life lesson. What is this world coming to..

Now in the case of this car like I have seen with others in the past local to me if a car was purchased cheap and then flipped for considerably more money MOST people with a conscious will go back to the previous seller and give a little "kickback".

Agreed.

iluv69s 07-25-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker1 (Post 1407711)
Agreed.

I disagree... sounds good in theory, but I believe that very few would do that.

Jmho

bergy 07-25-2018 12:46 PM

I have negotiated an agreement with the seller for a future additional payment if I am able to document a rare car. I think that it's a good idea if you are paying a "maybe" price for a rare car. I've actually paid out on the agreement in the past.

To be honest, I really hate those stories of buyers who know for certain that a car is rare and valuable and proceed to rip off widows and other sellers who are not knowledgeable. However, I believe that it is fair to offer $50k for a car that has a future worth of $150k if the buyer is faced with a $100k restoration bill! Many people don't understand how expensive these restorations are - especially if rare parts are missing or damaged.

67BelAir427 07-26-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergy (Post 1409174)
I have negotiated an agreement with the seller for a future additional payment if I am able to document a rare car. I think that it's a good idea if you are paying a "maybe" price for a rare car. I've actually paid out on the agreement in the past.

To be honest, I really hate those stories of buyers who know for certain that a car is rare and valuable and proceed to rip off widows and other sellers who are not knowledgeable. However, I believe that it is fair to offer $50k for a car that has a future worth of $150k if the buyer is faced with a $100k restoration bill! Many people don't understand how expensive these restorations are - especially if rare parts are missing or damaged.

Well said, I totally agree. The flip side of the " score of the century" should never be someone elses's loss. You should be commended for your honesty.

Copo_Cartel 07-29-2018 03:22 AM

It was great seeing this car at the supercar reunion this weekend .

PeteLeathersac 07-29-2018 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'

Here's a few old newspaper ads that may help w/ clues or more leads to follow.
The first 427 car in the 3'rd ad sounds promising also is the same car under the below Bryant ad but w/ more details.
May be worth asking the painter guy if anything rings a bell w/ him including AM/FM?
Congrats also kudos for your efforts and well deserved success so far!
:beers:
~ Pete

PeteLeathersac 07-29-2018 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'

~ Pete

PeteLeathersac 07-29-2018 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'

PeteLeathersac 07-29-2018 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'

Bottom of this 02/70 ad is the same Ph.# and car but last time offered, perhaps sold soon after?:hmmm:
~ Pete

R68GTO 07-29-2018 11:26 AM

Thanks for posting those ads Pete! The car's interior is all original except dash pad (replaced in early '80's due to tach mounting holes) and still retains its original am radio so those ads do not line up. The timing is about right as the 2nd owner bought the car in the spring of '70. OO only had the car about 6 months.

PeteLeathersac 07-29-2018 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'

I took another look and found this interesting Bryant Chev used car ad!
427 + 4-Spd. + Dealer location all fit perfectly but not the SS thing, emblem added or ad mistake?
Sorry if I missed this above but what does the painter pal know of where and what he paid?
Tough to see your tag build date too, please clarify as it can help w/ timelines/subject possibilities.
Keep rockin'!
~ Pete