The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Possible Baldwin Chevelle (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149523)

Brucebodyman 06-23-2018 02:29 AM

Possible Baldwin Chevelle

I'm going to look at a 68 Chevelle possibly this weekend that a local guy just bought. He thinks it may be a Baldwin car. He sent a few pics. It does have the Hone O Drive Unit. I'm doing some research as to what to look for. Can any of you guys give me a heads up on clues to look for. I'm not looking at it to buy it. I'm just trying to help a fellow Chevelle owner out and help him verify what he has before he tears it apart. From pics I've seen it's a very nice barn find. It also has the Buick interior in it. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

marxjunk 06-23-2018 02:32 AM

buick interior is common in a 68...ive seen a dozen or so in the last year..in ruff parts cars..

COPO 06-23-2018 02:45 AM

Order the NCRS shipping report for $50. If it comes back to Baldwin Motor Co. that's a good start. Other than that, not much to go on as the hone overdrive wasn't used until very late '69 cars and mostly in 1970 and later.

Brucebodyman 06-23-2018 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxjunk (Post 1405541)
buick interior is common in a 68...ive seen a dozen or so in the last year..in ruff parts cars..

Interior appears to be very nice in pictures.

Brucebodyman 06-23-2018 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPO (Post 1405545)
Order the NCRS shipping report for $50. If it comes back to Baldwin Motor Co. that's a good start. Other than that, not much to go on as the hone overdrive wasn't used until very late '69 cars and mostly in 1970 and later.

Learned something already. Didn't know the OD units weren't used until late 69.
I'm not expecting it to be a real one but you never know. He may be basing it on the OD unit and a story. I just wasn't sure if there were some tell tale signs to look for.

marxjunk 06-23-2018 03:08 AM

anything can happen in 50 years..someone could have put the H O D in after delivery..stranger things have been discovered..go in with open eyes, expect little and hope for BIG is how i'd approach it.

Brucebodyman 06-24-2018 05:39 PM

Put eyes on the car today. What he has is a very restorable numbers matching L78 68 Chevelle with a couple of desirable day 2 speed parts on it. Motor rebuilt but not to L78 Specs. Numbers matching 4 speed 12 bolt rearend.
Unfortunately he is convinced it's a Baldwin Motion car. I'm convinced it's not. There is no paperwork of any kind and other than the overdrive unit not much to associate it with Motion. The car is for sale but the price he gave me was already to high then he tells me since it's a motion car he wants even more for it but wouldn't say how much more. So if any of you get wind of a supposed motion Chevelle in mid Michigan message me I'll give you my take.

COPO 06-24-2018 08:56 PM

Order the NCRS shipping report and it will likely put the BM story to rest.

SuperNovaSS 06-24-2018 09:32 PM

Or support the BM story....

Jason

PeteLeathersac 06-24-2018 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'

Others can speak up w/ better info but at least one '68 'Velle got a 427 by Motion also was later turned into a race car.
No idea whether the below Cars Magazine article car is it or another?:hmmm:
The NCRS report is surely the best start, good luck!
:beers:
~ Pete