The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   pro comp heads (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124354)

1968BM 10-11-2013 12:18 AM

pro comp heads

Hi guys, Has anyone used a set of pro comp bbc heads? Was checking them out and was wondering if anyone here had used them. Im currently build a 427 bored .030 over with KB 176 pistons and wanna run a .520 lift cam. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

VintageMusclecar 10-11-2013 02:10 AM

Re: pro comp heads

Your money can be <span style="font-weight: bold">far</span> better spent elsewhere.

What are your specific performance goals?

1968BM 10-15-2013 09:18 PM

I wanna good street machine, with some dragstrip runs.

PxTx 10-15-2013 09:30 PM

What kind of gear do you want to run?

VintageMusclecar 10-15-2013 09:32 PM

What kind of e.t's are you looking to run, and what does your car weigh?

Hemicolt 10-16-2013 02:27 PM

While the castings themselves aren't terrible, the Pro Comp heads leave a little to be desired.
The valve guide material is junk. We have seen several sets ground away by the valve stems in just a few thousand miles. Also, seat machining isn't very consistent.
As a comparison, my 540 is equipped with a roller cam, flat top pistons and LS6 cast heads. H.P. is 704 on pump gas. The 69 Camaro, that I posted pictures of under the Chevrolet section, has a 540 with a similar roller cam, flat top pistons and Pro Comp heads. H.P. on pump gas is 738.
Also keep in mind, this customer had to pay the machine shop to replace all the guides and redo the seats. Not a bargain in the end.

69 Post Sedan 10-16-2013 02:38 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While the castings themselves aren't terrible, the Pro Comp heads leave a little to be desired.
The valve guide material is junk. We have seen several sets ground away by the valve stems in just a few thousand miles. Also, seat machining isn't very consistent.
As a comparison, my 540 is equipped with a roller cam, flat top pistons and LS6 cast heads. H.P. is 704 on pump gas. The 69 Camaro, that I posted pictures of under the Chevrolet section, has a 540 with a similar roller cam, flat top pistons and Pro Comp heads. H.P. on pump gas is 738.
Also keep in mind, this customer had to pay the machine shop to replace all the guides and redo the seats. Not a bargain in the end. </div></div>

Tracy, your response mimics what I've been told of the Pro Comp heads. By the time you make the heads &quot;right&quot;, you would have been better off buying a set of AFR or Brodix heads for example. I've also heard the aluminum for the Pro Comp heads isn't as strong.

Kurt

Chevy454 10-16-2013 02:53 PM

IMHO, a good set of factory heads would work fine, especially no bigger of a cam than you're looking at...matter of fact, a good set of oval ports is a pretty formidable setup.

old5.0 10-16-2013 03:03 PM

Procomp=Chinese crap. Agree with Rob. Even a set of well-prepped iron ovals would be a better use of your money.

VintageMusclecar 10-16-2013 03:31 PM

Most reasonable performance goals can easily be accomplished with factory castings. As long as you aren't starting out with a trashed set of factory heads, the cost should be reasonable.