The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   69 Yenko Chevelle found (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146724)

SS427 01-20-2018 07:00 PM

69 Yenko Chevelle found

10 Attachment(s)
Annie and I make a living out of locating and restoring some very unique and rare cars for other people but have never been able to be proud to be the ones to purchase and own such a special car together. A couple of months ago Annie and I were blessed after purchasing this long lost 69 Yenko Chevelle.

It was found in the original owners garage, the same place it had sat unmoved and disassembled since the owner parked it there after a frontal accident in 1970 with only 19m miles on the clock. The car was originally sold from V.V. Cooke in Louisville and never left the area. Many people had tried to locate and purchase the car over the last 40 plus years but the owner always claimed he no longer had the car and did not know of its whereabouts. Even his next door neighbor who had lived next door all his life stood on his deck and watched us remove the car from its tomb and thought it was long gone many years ago. The original owner had just recently passed and the family contacted me about possibly having it restored or even selling it. My shop tech and I immediately jumped in his car and made the 5 hour drive to see the car and help the family move it from its resting place to a much safer and secure storage area. It took the better part of a day and a half to just gain access to the car to where we were able to move it out. Before we were even allowed to pull the car out we had to shore up the roof trusses as they were caving in. Once the car was safely secured the negotiations began.

Though some of the front sheet metal and associated hardware had disappeared as well as the wheels and tires. The original engine, KQ coded differential and most all other items were still with the car. The transmission had been stolen from another location many years ago but we have a lead on its whereabouts. The family believes they have the original paperwork on the car and is presently trying to locate it but regardless it is in the registry and is very real. Amazingly the exhaust, mufflers (though not usable) and all 4 of the original dated shocks, were still under the car!

Based on the condition of the garage, piles of junk on the car and the fact that it was sitting in 3”of water (from a very recent major storm) we suspected the worst but much to our surprise there was not a speck of rust anywhere on the car and the frame was remarkably clean. The raccoon feces was 2-3” deep in most places on the car but again to our surprise once we pulled the interior out there was no rust anywhere.

A couple of weeks later I entrusted Don Stowers to total confidentiality and together we made the trip back to Louisville, KY to pick up the car and all its contents and start the journey down the restoration road. Since Annie can no longer be exposed to major germs she only and immediately jumped in after my tech and I had given the car a thorough cleaning (wearing full body suits and respirators) and helped with the disassembly. She will also be taking an active role in its research and restoration which I intend to be the best that we have ever performed. I refuse to throw a bunch of reproduction parts on this car and will not cut corners. At least and for a change I will get to restore a car with NO rust anywhere. Absolutely sound sheet metal everywhere other than what got bent in the accident. It has 100% its original paint, glass and interior (though most of the interior and two pieces of glass are not usable). This is only the second 69 Chevelle I have ever owned and am excited to say the least. My one big regret was that I could not take procession of the car in time to put it in the Barn Find section of the MCACN show as this was a true barn find. The restoration cannot wait till next years show either as progress must get underway nights and weekends as our customer’s cars must come first and we would like to get the car done so Annie and I can enjoy it. She is very excited to get back into the car scene with one of her own again.

I would also like to thank those few people who I could confide in who helped me qualify this car before I bought it as well as those who helped in other ways and kept it totally quiet. I lost another huge find many years ago due to the word getting out so thanks for keeping quiet on this one! I could not have done this deal without Annie's help and blessing so a really big thanks to her!

EZ Nova 01-20-2018 07:07 PM

NICE!!!

Congrads you lucky ..............................

scuncio 01-20-2018 07:08 PM

Wow!

Steve Shauger 01-20-2018 07:26 PM

Rick and Annie, just awesome. It certainly has found the perfect home. Congratulations!!!!:beers::Can-I-Have-It:

302moz 01-20-2018 07:28 PM

Yenko

Nice find Rick and Annie . Congratulations

67ssonly 01-20-2018 07:37 PM

I heard of this car many years ago.Living in Louisville all my life I never thought it would be found and restored.Congratulations on a great find.

bergy 01-20-2018 07:38 PM

Great find!

#357868?

chevelleheart 01-20-2018 08:05 PM

Congrats to both of you and if the floors are any indication of condition,...you have a great body to work with ! Congrats again

SuperNovaSS 01-20-2018 08:11 PM

This is absolutely amazing! Could not have happened to nicer people. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Congrats!

Jason

belker6 01-20-2018 08:14 PM

Wow Rick / Annie, that is a great piece to say the least. Looking forward to progress pictures. Dave