The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   69 GTO Judge RA IV convertibles (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149439)

mrays 06-17-2018 08:15 PM

69 GTO Judge RA IV convertibles

I was looking through some old muscle car magazines I have from the 80's and came across two features of supposed 69 GTO Judge RA IV convertibles. One was Carousel Red and the other was Liberty Blue and they both had automatic transmissions. I'm not a Pontiac expert, but I believe there were only 5 Judge convertibles built in 69 with the RA IV and they were all 4 speeds. Is that correct? I know Milt Robson had a black one. Are there any others that are known?

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-17-2018 08:40 PM

Those articles were probably done before PMD released 69-Newer Invoices free of charge to the public via 1-800-PONTIAC .
They started doing that around 1986 or 87'ish .

You are right , Five 69 IV J-Verts , all were 4spd.
4 Orange , 1 Black
All are accounted for , 3 are in deep hibernation.

Steve Ames former owner of Ames Pontiac Parts has an Orange - then Milts former one in Triple-Black.
The only 2 that are public.

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-17-2018 08:49 PM

Just to add -
prior to PMD hooking us up with Invoices - there were a generally small number of supposed cars with feature articles that were fakes.

One that really shocked the hardest was a 70 Formula Ram IV car.
Turns out 0 were ever built .
Heartbreaker

When Mattison put PHS together and opened up the older Billing History Cards for 1968 - Older , 64-65 GTO's were running about half & half on cloned LeMans's for the first several years or so.

Restored Tri-Power 4spd cars were coming back as 4bbl Auto and 4bbl Manual on a regular basis also.

old5.0 06-18-2018 12:12 AM

The Liberty Blue car came out of Scott City Kansas, iirc. If its the one I'm thinking of there was some interesting backstory on it being round port powered, I believe.

442w30 06-18-2018 12:52 AM

The blue automatic car was in Guide to Muscle Cars magazine, I believe. Not a real RAIV car. I think it was from the Midwest.

In fact, I think there was a Carousel Red one in the same magazine, perhaps an older issue, and it may have even had a Dual-Gate tranny if I recall correctly.

As been pointed out, all of the 5 built were 4-speeds. That makes 40 4-speed and 14 automatic GTO ragtops that were not Judges.

442w30 06-18-2018 10:54 PM

I just remembered that in Musclecars magazine, there was a guy from Flemington, NJ who had a RAIV auto Judge ragtop with really low mileage, possibly in a drag test against other cars. I wonder what the true story of that car is?

442w30 06-19-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 1404898)
4 Orange , 1 Black
All are accounted for , 3 are in deep hibernation.

Baron, do we know for a fact there were 4 in Carousel Red? Someone asked me if it's documented or simply assumed.

And all are indeed accounted for? I only know of two but I'm not in-the-know.

Baron Von Zeppelin 06-19-2018 07:33 PM

Thats the gospel as we know it .
From within the inside loops.
Same original source as most all other accounts. (FS)

So far, after 30+ years of patience , no others have shown up for the party with documentation to contradict. But we all know there is always a slim chance of that possibly happening ... but so far , no.

Those other 3 are in DEEP recluse.
Haven't changed any hands for a loooonnggg time now.
At least 1 is still with original owner.

mrays 06-19-2018 10:40 PM

Yes, both cars I mentioned at the beginning of this thread were featured in Guide to Muscle Cars. The blue one was in the October '89 issue. It was owned by B. Tibbs at the time and had a blue bucket interior with a column shift. It also had 3.55's which I don't believe were available with the RA IV. Only 3.90's or 4.33's. The red one was in the August '87 issue. It was owned by T. Benko and had a black bucket interior with a console.

njsteve 06-20-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 442w30 (Post 1405014)
I just remembered that in Musclecars magazine, there was a guy from Flemington, NJ who had a RAIV auto Judge ragtop with really low mileage, possibly in a drag test against other cars. I wonder what the true story of that car is?

I live in that town! Any more info. How long ago was that article?