The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Reproduction Tires (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178130)

danachevroletfor1967 02-21-2024 08:00 PM

Reproduction Tires

I have been wondering for awhile now why reproduction tires for our cars are so expensive, and the prices seem to be going up faster than the cost of regular new tires are. It seems to me that once the initial tire molds and other tire making equipment have been purchased that would be it for initial start up cost. Do the reproduction tire companies like Kelsey, Coker, and Universal have to continue to pay the original tire manufacturers a licensing fee ongoing?

I would expect to pay over $300 per tire for new tires for a Corvette Z06, Porsche GT3, or any Ferrari or Lamborghini car with their specially made tires from Goodyear, Michelin, and Pirelli, but not for a modern made regular tire that looks just like what would have come on our cars originally. Is it pure greed or is there something I am not aware of? Please enlighten me.

1967 4K 02-21-2024 08:22 PM

I’m going to put a new set of tires on a set of 69 XT wheels I like to run on my car from time to time. The redline radials would look great but I refuse to pay that much for them! I’ll be buying a set of black wall radials.

danachevroletfor1967 02-21-2024 09:50 PM

I know what you mean. I want to replace the 16 year old tires on my '67 Camaro and would love to get 4 new radial red lines, but I refuse to pay $377 per tire for them. I will be getting modern radials with a thin white line stripe.

markinnaples 02-21-2024 09:55 PM

I've been jonesing for a set of retro bias ply N50's, but they're about $500 each, ugh.

thehornworks 02-21-2024 10:31 PM

Like anything , A limited production run costs more than making say 50,000.

Lee Stewart 02-22-2024 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehornworks (Post 1644455)
Like anything , A limited production run costs more than making say 50,000.

https://i.postimg.cc/4NmKBx06/2.jpg

SmallHurst 02-22-2024 04:14 AM

Hello…. I am happy to help try to explain some of the reasons for pricing on the reproduction tires.

1) limited quantities. These tires are run through in small batches. Very much a hand built, boutique tire. Typically, we are talking about 80 or so per batch.

2)mold making/ upkeep… yes, once a tire has been decided upon, the attempt to find one of the original molds to work off of… sometimes they are not so lucky and have to build a new mold from scratch. Anyone who has had to have any molds made has the idea of the price tag. On top of that, the molds have to go back in to get touched up or in more severe cases, rebuilt..

3) DOT testing… yes, these tires have to be tested…. No testing= no sales!!

4) limited manufacturers… in North America, you have 1 facility that builds any of the bias belted tires…. 1

5) licensing agreements— you have to pay to play.

6) blems cost money…. The tires are inspected and blems get destroyed.

7) “exotic” materials—- some of the belting material are only able to be sourced in far away lands… shipping containers pricing has been horrendous as of late..

This may not be all of the reasons, but this gives you some of the reasons for pricing.

One more thing, I have not gotten a call from any of you to see if I can help you on pricing!!

X66 714 02-22-2024 11:11 AM

Thanks for the explanation & the phone call Rusty. Calling Rusty for tires will save you a few dollars & he usually includes the shipping. I've purchase 4 sets of tires in the past years dirrectly from Rusty. Always had very good luck & very pleasent to work with. He's usually at MCACN if you want a one on one. Enjoy the hobby.....Joe

TimG 02-22-2024 11:49 AM

I was in need of one reproduction redline for a 67 Corvette and the wait was (is) three months. I'm sure the manufacturer and seller are frustrated with the holdups, too.

juliosz 02-22-2024 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My wife works at a restoration shop and she ordered the 67 Corvette redline for my 67 Z. I expected to wait months but was surprised when they arrived about a week after ordering. They were ordered on November 9th and shipped on November 16th 2023.