The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   68 Z Pitman Arm Rebuild (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163179)

SMS 09-18-2020 06:17 PM

68 Z Pitman Arm Rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
The 3908391 casting # pitman arm on my Power Steering Z has a lot of slop in the stud. Who can rebuild these to keep my original arm in place?

SMS 09-18-2020 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready for the steering and brake component projects.

NorCam 09-18-2020 08:22 PM

Looking good. I'm just rebuilding my front end as well.

68camaroz28 09-19-2020 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMS (Post 1514929)
Ready for the steering and brake component projects.

Looks very clean and nicely done. No issue but if planning on any judging a-arms were painted assemblies so the dog bones, washers and bolts should all be black.

SMS 09-19-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 (Post 1514980)
Looks very clean and nicely done. No issue but if planning on any judging a-arms were painted assemblies so the dog bones, washers and bolts should all be black.

I’ve gone back and forth on that 100 times. :)

And thank you for your build thread and advice. I use it all the time.

Will probably end up black or maybe something like 90% covered. Looking at survivors it seems like the factory guys were not too careful regarding coverage in that area. My initial attempt to satisfy my personal taste vs correctness was to do the bright washers and bolts in phosphorus.

I am real happy with how the springs came out. Did a lot of blending and experimenting and they have a little bit of heat treat bluish tint in the right lighting.

NorCam 09-19-2020 02:47 PM

Personally, I've always liked some contrast in the engine bay and on the steering and suspension. If it's going to be judged, go factory spec by all means. If you like contrast, add some phosphate, natural and cast finishing so everything is not just black paint.

All depends on the look one is going for, but I like this one. Just sharing my opinion.

SMS 09-20-2020 01:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sort of hijacked my own thread, but still wondering if the ball joint can be saved in this pitman arm.

WorkinProgress 09-20-2020 02:33 PM

In case anyone is interested, the seal for the pitman arm or idler arm is still available from GM. The list price is around $13.00. They have them for sale on eBay but expect to pay more.

The part number is 5693027.

- Warren

SMS 11-16-2020 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68camaroz28 (Post 1514980)

Thanks for all the input. Despite personally liking the contrast in the A arms, I did ultimately decide to do it right and have redone that part of the work. When I get some time, I'll post some more photos and details of this project.

Too Many Projects 11-17-2020 01:51 AM

Rare Parts, in CA used to rebuild original steering parts, but I can't find any info about that service on their website anymore.
Maybe send them an email about rebuilding your pitman arm.
[email protected]