The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   To feel bad? Was just trying to help! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151352)

Sean 10-17-2018 04:22 PM

To feel bad? Was just trying to help!

Long story short. Helped a good friend of mine not get stung on buying a copo car that was claimed to be #s matching the whole ball of wax. Went with him checked it out, very nice car but was cloned, fake paper work, trim tag, motor etc.

I did not say anything to the seller made several notes. After we left I told him run it is not what he says showed him why and what was done. Saved him 185k. So after a day the seller calls my buddy asking him what is up he tells him going to pass and his reasons why.

The guy goes ballistic on him!!! Saying I was full of u know what, it is real and if he finds out we say otherwise he is going to sue us and we are taking money out of his pocket.

Never experienced anything like that before. Anyone ever have this happen? Are we not suppose to do the right thing?

L_e_e 10-17-2018 04:28 PM

Tell the seller to post all the info and pictures proving its a real deal car on this site if he has nothing to worry about.

mockingbird812 10-17-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1418159)
Long story short. Helped a good friend of mine not get stung on buying a copo car that was claimed to be #s matching the whole ball of wax. Went with him checked it out, very nice car but was cloned, fake paper work, trim tag, motor etc.

I did not say anything to the seller made several notes. After we left I told him run it is not what he says showed him why and what was done. Saved him 185k. So after a day the seller calls my buddy asking him what is up he tells him going to pass and his reasons why.

The guy goes ballistic on him!!! Saying I was full of u know what, it is real and if he finds out we say otherwise he is going to sue us and we are taking money out of his pocket.

Never experienced anything like that before. Anyone ever have this happen? Are we not suppose to do the right thing?

His strong reaction could be a result that he paid up for the car when he originally bought it thinking it was real and your detective work just burst his bubble.

Steve Shauger 10-17-2018 06:37 PM

He has recourse unless he was the one who cloned it. He should have a friend like you with him if he in fact bought it as real. Based on what you've disclosed it's a fake throughout and you won't be the last guy who informs him. If the owner truly wanted to get to the truth he would have someone authenticate or post some pics on this site. Congrats on helping your friend. :beers:

SS427 10-17-2018 08:51 PM

Happens to me a lot. I inspect many LS6 cars and a vast majority of them are fake. The owners often times go crazy on me even though I prove what I detect. The worst ones are when the buyer hires me AFTER he has bought the car and then will not accept my findings and I become the A-hole. Yes, a LOT of people who are greedy and dishonest have ruined this hobby.

70 copo 10-17-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1418159)

This is a pretty small hobby for the real cars. If you do not mind please cut us in on the city where the seller lives. Just the city :)

WILMASBOYL78 10-17-2018 09:29 PM

copo...???

Measure twice...cut once.

Nice job!

-wilma

Sean 10-17-2018 09:46 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I would never claim I am an expert by no means and I have relied on many of you for help on stuff I have purchased. I have helped out many guys just because I love the cars and never expected a dime. He either knew or was scammed buy the previous person.

I had asked some questions of who did the resto and it was oh some guy up on the east coast. That was a red flag, the block was decked, asked if it had a picture of a before it was and of course I will have to find it. Radiator was out of 67 Camaro. Car is north of Dallas, car is a garnet red 69 camaro.

Mr. Chevy 10-18-2018 02:20 AM

Sue, Sue Sue.... Everyone is so sue happy. Sue for what? You guys did nothing wrong. "Taking money out of his pocket" What a joke that is also...

Laugh at the seller and tell him he is full of crap.

Rich

novadude 10-18-2018 12:36 PM

How can a seller threaten legal action against a person who decides that they do not want to purchase an item the seller has offered for sale? People are really nuts!