The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Help needed Muscle car owner documentation searching (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147882)

ronzz572 03-20-2018 08:13 PM

Help needed Muscle car owner documentation searching

It's always important to most people in this forum find and research every available piece of documentation for they're cars. I'm looking for a little help researching ownership of my 70 camaro L78. Originally sold from Russ Lyons Chevrolet in Boulder Colorado. Due to privacy rule currently in place creates a major road block using Colorado DMV. Anyone here know of any loop holes around the road blocks for searching history on a Colorado car. Again mine came from the boulder area and stayed there till late 1987. Also titled there when I purchased it. The former owner doesn't have or remember who the former owner was. So I can't go there. Anyone in this forum from the Boulder Colorado area remember a cranberry red 1970 as 396 L78 camaro from the area in the 70s and 1980s please contact me thanks.

Postsedan 03-20-2018 08:26 PM

Ron,

This is as good of a place to ask for help as any :)

Best of luck,

Dan

DW31S 03-20-2018 08:34 PM

Good luck, Sir! Maryland is tough on the privacy crap also. That's a pretty rare car and chances are somebody will remember it. I'd put ads in local places and seek out some older gearheads and pick their brain.

Canuck 03-20-2018 08:43 PM

I have gone down this path myself. Usually DMV only opens up its records to the following:
Lawyers,police agencies,title search companies,insurance.
Large volume car dealers usually have a person on staff who checks all titles on trade ins. This person has access to those records.
I hit pay dirt years ago when I wanted records from Oregon DMV,the first state to invoke privacy lays. The lady at the Chrysler dealer where my 300F was sold new ran the search and in 24 hours had all the titles from day 1.
Another angle is to check with a Notary,Escrow agent or and estate trustee who often have to get a lost title replaced or a new title issued and all years of ownership have to be checked.
With a little patience,you will connect with the right person, it may take 40 phone calls first,but it is worth it.

Crush 03-20-2018 09:41 PM

Try autoancestry. I used them and was pleased

njsteve 03-20-2018 10:00 PM

Usually one of the permitted uses of the now private records are for searching for prior liens on the vehicle which may encumber the title. If the DMV person asks you what purpose you are searching for, this is a permitted use (and you are actually wanting to verify that there are no liens on the title, anyway).

ronzz572 03-21-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsteve (Post 1393344)
Usually one of the permitted uses of the now private records are for searching for prior liens on the vehicle which may encumber the title. If the DMV person asks you what purpose you are searching for, this is a permitted use (and you are actually wanting to verify that there are no liens on the title, anyway).

Thanks Everyone, I will try the lien approach. I have called once already and pretty much ran Into this major road block. Maybe this will open up the road here. I will report back later.

ronzz572 03-26-2018 11:20 PM

No luck with the 2nd call. I'm hoping someone might remember this car from the boulder area.