The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   69 R/S Conversion... (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174625)

WILMASBOYL78 02-08-2023 02:24 AM

69 R/S Conversion...

Looking at some upgrades for Karen's 69 SS 350 4spd car...

She has always wanted the R/S package...we have the R/S dash and console gauges. Next step is the headlights and other features. I did some research online and it looks like there are several options including electric instead of vacuum.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome...

She also wants more action from the 'go-pedal'...car has 4.10 12 bolt now and M-20...mild 350. I have another 350 we can upgrade...:rolleyes2:

Thanks,

wilma

COPO 02-08-2023 03:28 AM

4.10 rear coupled to an M-20 should already be pretty stout off the line even with a mild 350. Maybe she needs an NOS 250 shot to pull the front tires. :-)

big gear head 02-08-2023 11:54 AM

I have the Detroit Speed electric conversion on my '69 and it works great. If you need templates for the RS backup light holes I have them.

Charley Lillard 02-08-2023 12:13 PM

I'm not gonna say LS3... I'm not.............

WILMASBOYL78 02-18-2023 02:40 PM

69 RS Conversion...Spring Project

We have decided on using the electric motors for the project...a local Camaro friend will help with the install of the conversion items.

Now to the go pedal....while an LS upgrade would be cool, Karen wants to keep it "traditional". [sorry Charlie]

So, we plan to use a 68 350/295 small block that I have on the shelf, better heads, hydraulic roller cam, dual plane intake, Eric carb, etc. She has a nice Gardner exhaust system on the car now...but, the new engine will need headers and real dual exhaust.

So...I need some input on:

-header choices
-exhaust system options
-market for selling the current Gardner system

***and we will have the 350 that is coming out that will be available

As always...thanks for any advice.

-wilma

Too Many Projects 02-18-2023 06:28 PM

Not sure why you don't want to just tie the headers into the Gardner, unless the 2.25 will be considered too small.

I have Pypes 2.5 header back on my '67 with the Race Pro mufflers. My 350 is mild, about 350 hp. It's quite mellow with reasonably normal driving but will make her presence known when she is in the loud pedal. The mufflers tuck up under the rear seat pan about as good as any muffler is going to where none were ever intended to be.

WILMASBOYL78 02-18-2023 06:36 PM

69 Camaro Upgrade...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1615184)
Not sure why you don't want to just tie the headers into the Gardner, unless the 2.25 will be considered too small.

I have Pypes 2.5 header back on my '67 with the Race Pro mufflers. My 350 is mild, about 350 hp. It's quite mellow with reasonably normal driving but will make her presence known when she is in the loud pedal. The mufflers tuck up under the rear seat pan about as good as any muffler is going to where none were ever intended to be.

The Gardner system has a factory style transverse muffler....if we go with headers it should have a real dual exhaust with two mufflers. I plan to look at the Pype's system and see what they have. Since it is unlikely she will ever go back to manifolds and the stock exhaust, I figured someone might be a buyer for the existing Gardner setup.

-wilma

JRSully 02-19-2023 04:33 PM

I have had a Pypes Race Flo Transverse muffler on the Nova. As Mitch stated, it is pretty quiet at idle and light pedal, but hammer on it, and the neighbors will run in the house. It is really the best of both worlds IMO. It has been on the car for 15 yrs now and never any trouble, good quality piece

mgerg11 02-20-2023 03:02 PM

I’ve had the pypes race pro transverse muffler on my 69z. These guys are right…idle its mellow and it will rumble on acceleration. There is no drone either. Here is a sound clip from when I had it on…. https://youtu.be/HlKiOeTDixg I now have Gardner on. I still have the muffler so if you can get a set of pipes I’d let it go for cost of shipping.

olredalert 02-20-2023 03:10 PM

----I have a complete Pypes set-up on my 69 Grand Prix. I'm not absolutely sure but it seems like most 69 GM cars (performance or not) came with 2 1/4 diameter exhaust. I was already going to use HO exhaust manifolds on my SJ and it just seemed like I should go with a 2 1/2 Pypes set-up. I agree with the sound. Not obtrusive driving normally, yet great sounding with my foot in it. As a bonus, the set received fit really well!....Bill S