The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Should I, or shouldn’t I? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176252)

Crush 07-28-2023 11:38 PM

Should I, or shouldn’t I?

I’m sure at one point everyone on this site had a car they wanted to buy really bad. The problem was the car was technically overpriced, may not be a collectible per se, and eventually may not even be worth what you’re about to pay for it.

However, you can’t stop thinking about it, you can see yourself driving it, and going cruising.

So my question is, what would you do or what have you done? Do you walk away at times or say, life’s short, get it!
Appreciate any insights

Bary

Too Many Projects 07-28-2023 11:49 PM

If it is something you really want and have the financial means to buy, without sacrificing other things, like mortgage and food LOL, I'd say follow your heart and buy it. Who knows where the prices will be a year from now ?

X66 714 07-29-2023 12:12 AM

I've been asking that same question about a 1970 cuda I want to buy. I have the resourses. Now it's up to the owner if he will sell. Hopefully there will be a story for the future...Joe

Too Many Projects 07-29-2023 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X66 714 (Post 1628113)
I've been asking that same question about a 1970 cuda I want to buy. I have the resourses. Now it's u to the owner if he will sell. Hopefully there will be a story for the future...Joe

Hope it works out for you, Joe. Love me some '70 'Cuda too..:headbang:

A12pilot 07-29-2023 12:34 AM

You should, Bary, and here’s why:

We so often on this site worry about numbers this, matching that, collectible, rare, option this, option that. Here’s a thought. How about buy a car you actually like (for whatever reason) and just forget all the “what’s it gonna be worth in XxXx years?”. :dunno:

I don’t mean this is any derogatory way or to insinuate to make a rash and stupid decision. But sometimes you just think to yourself, “I just want that…Bad!!” And you need to treat yourself!:headbang:

I’m looking at two other cars right now that I’m considering pulling trigger on them just for fun. Collector? Doubtful. Investment quality? No, that’s why I have a retirement account for. But they ignite my senses and I know I’ll enjoy them for what they are.

Just my .02c since this is the internet and everyone needs to know my opinion since nobody asked.:naughty:

Keep us posted!

Cheers
Dave

Crush 07-29-2023 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A12pilot (Post 1628115)
You should, Bary, and here’s why:

We so often on this site worry about numbers this, matching that, collectible, rare, option this, option that. Here’s a thought. How about buy a car you actually like (for whatever reason) and just forget all the “what’s it gonna be worth in XxXx years?”. :dunno:

I don’t mean this is any derogatory way or to insinuate to make a rash and stupid decision. But sometimes you just think to yourself, “I just want that…Bad!!” And you need to treat yourself!:headbang:

I’m looking at two other cars right now that I’m considering pulling trigger on them just for fun. Collector? Doubtful. Investment quality? No, that’s why I have a retirement account for. But they ignite my senses and I know I’ll enjoy them for what they are.

Just my .02c since this is the internet and everyone needs to know my opinion since nobody asked.:naughty:

Keep us posted!

Cheers
Dave

“Ignite my senses”! Well said.

And yes I have the resources I just tend to over think things…. .P-R-O-C-R-A-S-T-I-N-A-T-I-O-N

A12pilot 07-29-2023 01:06 AM

I understand that, totally. But sometimes you just gotta do it for the fun of it. I mean, if I rationalized everything there would be no 507 thread.:hmmm: And that’s about the worst investment in a car EVER on this site. And it’s not even a real car! :no::biggthumpup: But that didn’t stop me for doing it. :biggthumpup:

Cheers
Dave

SS427 07-29-2023 03:50 AM

I recently paid 2.5 times more for a car than the current market value but it was 98% original with tons of extra NOS parts and paperwork. I always wanted one and since I had the money why not buy it. Something else to consider, some of us would not think much of shelling out over $90k for a loaded 1 ton dually to pull our campers/trailers/boats and an occasional load of rocks yet we hold back on a $50k Chevelle or Camaro because its more than market value. The dually gets a major butt kicking on depeciation and we think nothing of it but still can't come to terms paying a little more than market value on a car that will more than likely appreciate. If it doesn't, who cares? We bought it to drive and enjoy. I lost over $10k on my 54 Belair when I sold it to my brother but I had a ton of fun with it.

PeteLeathersac 07-29-2023 03:57 AM

All above great advice w/ an added dash of; enjoy every minute of every day you can right now as who knows where things may be health wise in a year or few for not just you, but loved ones you’ll share the car and create memories with…also, add in world politics/situations/our own blind governments’ failures, best have as much fun now while we still can!:crazy:
:beers:
~ Pete

L72copocamaro 07-29-2023 05:45 AM

Logic says run, don't walk. Desire generally gets in the way and demands that we don't.

Buying for fun, disregarding profit...priceless.