View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Leaf Springs with Ladder Bars

I second what Mark Johnson said about ladder bars and beefing the spring perches. And like Mark said, once they decide to depart due to the bind, and rip the rear end out of the car, it gets pretty ugly.

Years ago, Moroso had a ladder bar with a sliding segment on the nose. It was designed to mount on a set of frame connectors. Supposedly this forward mount slider helped a bit, but I'm sure everything had to be perfectly square for it to work right (not an easy task on a unit-body car). I had a few customers run them when I had a speed shop. One of the guys though, swapped back to a set of extended slapper bars and the can ran better (quicker). Some of the old guys around here will remember how we used to extend the nose of the Lakewood slapper bars so that the snubber would be closer to , or under the spring eye. Competition Engineering's slapper bar is (I think) a bit longer than the old Lakewood. It also includes the J-bolt kit. Rattle can it black and you likely won't able to tell the difference between it and the vintage Lakewoods (at least in my neck of the woods, it was pretty common to paint those screaming yellow Lakewood bars black).

Have fun

Wayne Scraba