View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Thanked 7,262 Times in 1,623 Posts

Since winter has finally arrived I decided to spend some time looking through some old magazines I have. I happened to start with Hot Rod and in the April 78 issue they had a story on the Trans Am and mention that only two convertibles were built in 69.

In the August 78 issue Ted Gallas wrote in saying he had purchased a 69 Firebird convertible several years earlier with a big block Chevy engine in it that looked just like the one pictured in the article except it was a convertible. He had been told that there was no such thing as a Trans Am convertible so he thought it was just a Firebird. At the time it was stored in his buddies barn, but he supplied the VIN 223679N104810 and asked the editor if it could be one of the two 69 T/A convertibles. The editor confirmed that it was a T/A convertible. This is the #2 T/A convertible with a Parchment interior that is currently owned by D. Mecum.

In the November 78 issue there is a letter from Ken Edgerton stating he owns a 69 T/A convertible with VIN 223679N104808. He purchased the car in 73 and is the second owner. The car had 62K miles and still had the original drivetrain. At the time he was using it as daily transportation and to tow his boat on the weekends. This is the #1 T/A convertible that was restored by Level One several years ago and is part of the Brothers Collection.

Also in the November 78 issue there is a letter from Charles Adams stating he is the original owner of VIN 223679N109938 and that the car is in perfect condition and is one of his proudest possessions. This is the #7 T/A convertible that was restored by The Finer Details several years ago and is also part of the Brothers Collection.

In this issue the editor also states that there were eight T/A convertibles built in 69 with four being four-speed and four being automatics. I found this rather interesting reading so I thought I would share it with the rest of you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrays For This Useful Post:
flyingn (12-06-2017), L_e_e (12-06-2017), Tracker1 (12-06-2017)