View Single Post

Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

We had a ’68 painted like that, up around the rear window and decklid (not the hood, and did not include the extra stripe). Ours was Springmist Green with black.

My understanding is that they were experimenting with the package and trying to determine if they preferred paint or a large decal. I was told they did a red car as well, and ran into a racing buddy years later that was familiar with the red car.

Another story, regarding those “GTO” stickers on the quarter panels: ours came off the first time we ran it through an automatic car wash.

It was one of those where you get out and the worker runs the car through. After our car popped off the end of the line the worker drove it way off in the corner of the lot, where the owner of the car wash and a couple other workers congregated around it.

Dad wandered over to see what in the heck was going on.

“Van, I’ve got some bad news” the owner said, nervously. “Those little decals came right off”.

Dad paused for a minute, looking at the car, and finally said “well – I guess that means I won’t have to pull ‘em off”.

(Whew!)
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-29-2019 at 05:49 PM.