View Single Post

Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

This is probably a good point to talk about color names.

You all already know that the different divisions would use the same color but give it their own noun name: ie Hugger Orange on a Chevy = Carousel Red on a Pontiac.

I was being facetious explaining this to a friend and made up the following example:

Chevy = "Black"
GMC = "Tuxedo Black"
Cadillac = "Black Diamond"

Sure enough, the next time I was in the studio I saw one of those storyboards talking about their big product intro, and who it was going to be marketed to (young male model types with two day stubble, apparently) and there it was: the car was offered in "Black Diamond" exterior paint.

For the Volt program we held a contest to name the signature color. The original working name escapes me - I recall it was at least helpful - but the winner was "Viridian Joule". I think the guy won the use of a car for a week or something.

Another non-helpful color name was "Silver Topaz" (= blue. That caused some problems while looking for a specific car in the parking lot). On my last program (not a Camaro) we consistently referred to the color - the same color was my Silverado - as "Camaro Black" (RPO U18, WA8555).

I shouldn't fuss. Most of the names I come up with sound like "Baby Poop Green Metallic", "Highlighter Yellow" or "Beer Induced Vomit Tricoat". This is why I was never in marketing.

K
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.