View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 12:40 PM

To answer your second question NorCal, the black out used under the cowl on our Z, with black stripes, was not a satin or flat. It's gloss.

Mine is still original in this area and it's clearly a gloss black. Why the factory would bother in this area on a black stripe car since the firewall is getting blacked out anyway I'm not sure, but they carried the gloss black all the way out to the edge of the firewall, much like you see a white stripe Z done. My firewall then transitions into the satin finish over the edge.

I'm sure this process varied with plant and time of production. Mine is a 12D Norwood Z.

Another interesting point on mine, with it's original firewall paint still intact as well, is they weren't all that generous with the blackout. Mine has a lot of Frost Green showing through all around the trans tunnel right where it makes the transition behind the engine. I also have a fair amount of Frost Green showing through below the brake booster. The blackout was used very sparingly. I also have quite a bit of Frost Green showing through in the rear wheel well areas, mainly down on the frame rails that is still there. The black out of the rear wheel wells seems to have been done sparingly as well.

Something else I noticed on mine that wouldn't be present on an X77, Mine being an X33 has the lower rocker black out treatment. So when I carefully cleaned the floors, I didn't see a ton of Frost Green blown in on the floor pans, it was mostly black and faded to some Frost Green starting to show the closer you get to the rear wheel wells, where the green appears to be deliberately shot.

Last edited by x33rs; 08-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
NorCam (08-26-2020)