View Single Post

Old 12-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
[url=https://postimages.cc/]
I had one of those buried in my yard.

There was an old junk car down by the fencerow - an old Ford (probably a '66 or '67). The top was smashed down, bullet holes in the side, the whole nine yards. It actually was on the neighbor's property, but because of where the "natural" fencerow occurred it looked like it was on my side. After living there a year or so I asked him if I could drag that thing out of there and (of course) he said "Sure!".

The next step was to figure out *how*... I knew I couldn't get the trailer in front of it or in back of it, because of the terrain and because of all the other junk down there (old toilets, and there's always an old fuel oil tank - they follow me I swear). Since I didn't have to keep the car nice, it occurred to me I could roll it over onto its top, and then again over onto its wheels, and that would move it out far enough from the fence that I would have some fightin' room and could winch it up onto the trailer.

When the chosen day arrived I started winching, with the strap hooked to the top and using the floor jack up from the bottom. I kept working with it, cranking it on over until it looked like the momentum was going to carry it the rest of the way; we all jumped back expecting to "...thar she goes!!" when EEERRKKKK it stopped about three quarters of the way over. I thought "...what the heck?!" and walked around to the back side only to find the whole backhalf of the suspension, rear axle and drive shaft were still stuck in the ground. It had pulled the whole back of the frame away from the body.

At that point I was a madman - cutting and unbolting enough stuff so that the NEXT time I pulled on it she came right over on the roof.

So - now I've got this dumb thing upside down in my yard with no rear frame or suspension on it. Now what?!? I quick-as-a-bunny ran up to the barn to find some extra 2x4's, plywood, bolts, etc and ran back down to the car. Right there on the spot I fashioned a couple of rear frame rails out of the lumber, attached to the trans crossmember, and then stuck the plywood between this wooden frame and the trunk of the car so that the body would "float" over that frame when the car was upright. I pulled the front wheels and disassembled the brakes, and pumped the front tires up (...they held air!! - lol).

After another couple pulls with the winch - there she sat, proudly on her two front wheels and this newly formed "skid" under the back of the car. I rearranged the tow rig, pulling the car up onto the open trailer and lashing it down. Then it was off to the junkyard ---
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-21-2020 at 05:13 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (12-21-2020), Billohio (12-21-2020)