View Single Post

Old 12-21-2020, 05:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

I pulled into the yard and spoke with the guy behind the desk. "Mind if I leave that thing here?" I asked. "No prob", he replied - "just sign this form denoting the VIN and that it's to be scrapped". I signed the form and headed out the door. "Oh - one more thing" I asked. "Can I drop it over by that telephone pole?". He looked at me quizzically but said that would be fine.

I had a plan on how I was going to get the car off the trailer. I backed around in front of the aforementioned telephone pole; put my tow strap around the pole and hooked it to that wooden frame that I had created. The plan was that I was going to pull the trailer out from under the car, leaving the car sitting right in front of that pole. The only problem was, I wondered: how am I going to get my strap off the car if it's pulled tight?

I started moving the tow rig forward, only to find that little problem would solve itself - as soon as the front wheels hit the skids on the trailer the car rolled rearward, taking the tension off my towstrap and letting the car roll all the way down onto the ground. I hopped out, grabbed my strap, flipped the skids up and pulled away, giving a little beep of the horn and friendly wave as I drove off (leaving the desk guy standing in the doorway with one of those "...what in the heck just happened here?..." looks on his face).

:lol:

After I got the car out of there I continued to dig up stuff: the hood, and what appeared to be a stepside box from a vintage Chevy pickup, smashed completely flat.

Seeing your pictures is what made me think of all this: My son, who was probably 8 at the time, summarized all this activity by saying "...wow, Dad, this is great! If you hadn't dug all that stuff up we never would have known it was there!"

Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-21-2020 at 05:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (12-21-2020)