View Single Post

Old 07-31-2021, 03:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

He had this old Model A 1931 Ford his father gave him and on weekends I would help him clean it up and do light sanding. It had something I had never seen before: a Rumble Seat.

One weekend during the summer of 1963 (I was 12) I went to help and the car wasn't in his garage. I asked him what happened to it. He told me not to worry - it would return in a couple of weeks. Sure enough it did. He took it to Earl Scheib and had it painted then brought it to some place where they did the upholstery: dark gray.

"Want to take a ride?"

So we went, just the two of us for a short ride. I told him we should get Gail and go for ice cream. That way I could ride in the rumble seat. And the coolest part of the car . . . the ahooga horn.
I had one as well. It was a sweet little car, driver quality, and you get a lot of "old car bang" for your buck.

In fact - it was embarrassing.

I'd be in a parade of really nice Model A's: pickups, tudors, business coupes, etc. and you could see people looking right past them, craning their necks. Then they'd say "...there it is!. There's the rumble seat car!!".

I won "best of show" at a little church car show one time. I thought to myself "that just tells me you people don't know what a nicely restored Model A looks like".

K
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
olredalert (07-31-2021), Tenney (07-31-2021)