View Single Post

Old 03-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
Yes a real shame Lee. This deserves it's own thread. What's also unfortunate is the track could never attract enough attendees at muscle car events, Super Chevy and the like, which caused Super Chevy to move it's event elsewhere years ago. Odd considering how Arizona is such a car rich environment with weather that accommodates year round events and activities.

The track for the last several years has basically catered to NHRA type racing events for the big players, and there really wasn't enough of those in my opinion to bring the money in and keep a facility like this afloat. Couple that with the fact that Bondurant passed away last year putting the future of his road course at jeopardy probably didn't help.

Unterseh has a Pontiac race scheduled for April 30th that we participate in. Something Steve dropped in 2019 for lack of interest and Rick Unterseh thankfully picked back up.

After that the track has nothing scheduled for the little guys for the rest of the year. Pretty sure this will be the last event that has any type of organized classic car racing. I'll take my Firebird but would also participate in more events with the Chevelle or the Z/28, even the Mustang, if they had such events. My son has really grown an interest and passion for drag racing the last couple years and cant get enough of racing his Mustang. Unfortunately he's subject to just test and tune nights, as am I, since they simply just don't have events for people like us. I feel that was a part of their downfall.

It's a shame we can't get enough interest to gather a decent car count for a good ole fashioned muscle car event. The track really needs an event that caters to all brands of cars, new and old, and people need to get off their duffs and use these cars once in a while for what they were intended for.
Looks like that opportunity will now be gone in a few months. Seriously doubt they'll build another track to replace it either, not this day and age.
…..
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (03-28-2022), earntaz (03-29-2022), Lee Stewart (03-28-2022), olredalert (03-28-2022), Tenney (03-29-2022), YenkoYS-199Stinger (03-29-2022)