View Single Post

Old 05-23-2022, 01:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The name of this color is Pagoda Green. Does that look like a shade of green to you?
As you know, the noun names of colors are "Marketing Magic" (TM). (Famously "Carousel Red" on a Pontiac = "Hugger Orange" on a Chevy, etc).

I was teasing my truck bretheren one time about pickup truck colors, where Chevrolet = "Black", GMC = "Tuxedo Black" and Cadillac = "Black Diamond". Not long after that I was in the Cadillac studio and noticed a storyboard on the wall for a new product, describing the target demographic: salary range, what kind of watch they wore, what kind of cigars they smoked, etc. The color of the vehicle? Black Diamond. I laughed out loud. I was like "I was just being facetious!".

I remember during the Volt program we were in the parking lot looking for a particular vehicle that was "Silver Topaz", which is BLUE. I had the hardest time getting my managers to focus on looking for a blue vehicle, rather than silver.

And then, of course, the signature color for 2011, which was "Veridian Joule". That name was established via a contest, which a regular (non-design studio) employee won.

My names for colors tend toward things like "Baby Poop Pea Green Metallic", or "Buick Racing Beige", which is why I was never in marketing.

K
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-23-2022 at 03:06 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
dykstra (05-24-2022), Lee Stewart (05-23-2022), olredalert (05-23-2022), Tenney (05-24-2022)