View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L16pilot View Post
Regarding the author's comment about 100LL not being formulated for low RPM, I think what needs to be considered is that when 100LL was created, Tetraethyl lead was the best option to increase the octane rating based on the technology available while meeting all other requirements of recip aviation engines. Your comment about typical GA aircraft engines is correct, (2700 rpm or less), but I think the other performance factors outweighed the operating RPM range during development.

Also, for me personally, Avgas provides other valuable advantages with the prime one being it does not "go bad" in engines/carburetors/fuel systems that sit for extended periods of time saving tons of time/money/effort/frustration. I for one am looking forward to mass distribution and availability of the new GAMI G100UL fuel which promises all the performance/characteristics of 100LL, but without the tetraethyl lead.
I agree with those point but previous author said that the 100ll didn’t have a longer shelf life.

Idk if I’m thrilled w the new fuel coming online personally promises promises, heard it before we heard that with ethanol being added to fuel it wouldn’t be any differnt then our fuel lines started disintegrating . That’s bad enough in my boat or my car but I don’t like to mess around w any changes in my airplane . It took some time to see the effects of ethanol too it wasn’t right away . I won’t be flying my kids for a while when the new fuel comes out that is all I know .