View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 02:59 AM

Actually looking at several recent pics, I don't see that the tailpipes are angled down all that badly. My Z, which still had it's born with exhaust system intact until I removed it a couple years ago, looked very similar, maybe not as severe, but similar. There was no correcting it because the muffler will only tilt so far before it contacts the gas tank and creates a rattle (I tried)

So fast forward to reproduction tail pipes, which this car in question clearly has, and the problem becomes worse. When I installed another set, they really don't appear to be long enough with the proper bends to have the pipes pointing straight back. They do point downward a bit, and the way the factory hangers are designed there really isn't much wiggle room. If you pull the muffler down further to give yourself more space to tilt, that also pulls down the mid pipes and then the whole system looks like crap.

I found the only way to come to a decent compromise was to heat the joints with the torch and tweak a bit, but by the time you have the tailpipes pointing as straight back as you can get them while keeping the muffler in the proper position, they aren't the .640" distance away from the tail panel anymore. It's a frustrating deal but not uncommon, I see quite a few 69 Camaro's with factory systems that look exactly the same way.