View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
And it is absolutely inexcusable !!! I know 2 families who lost everything because the fire dept failed to make certain the fire was out and leave a person there to watch for an extended time. Both re-ignited some time later and burned the homes to the foundations.
Reading that the 2 surviving brothers not only lost their brother, but then everything they owned because of the failure of the fire dept, just sets me off.
Rest in peace to the gentleman that was lost.

As far as the rekindle goes, I would wait for the report before passing judgment.

I was a firefighter in the ghetto in Atlanta. We ran about 120 structure fire per year(not counting cars, dumpsters, grass, structures we pulled boosters[the red rubber hose on the reel] on, ect).

Out of ten years of fighting fire I saw 2 rekindles. One was an arson fire that the arsonist went back an hour after we left and lite it back up.

The other was a 1 story frame that some how rekindled and we went back and but it out. Basically just some smoke coming from the char pile. That was the 25th call of that shift and the 3rd structure fire. I was in the shower when the rekindle came in and it was shift change and I was working a double. I was less than thrilled.

Rekindles happen, but not often.

I would guess they would happen more in areas with less firefighting experience. You get a guy at a Beverly Hills firehouse and he may see 5 fires in a 30 year career.