View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 05:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2002 View Post
Hello, new member here, I've been reading the forum for a while and just joined.
I have a 1969 Chevelle L78 4 speed originally Butternut yellow. Black top, black interior.
My build sheet has a KM code which matches the stamp on the rear for a 4.56 gear. All the sources I can find on the web point to only one 1969 Chevelle ordered with this rear end ratio. Does anyone else out there have a documented factory 4.56 rear in their car?
Thanks
Hi Mark. I am fairly sure that my 69 Chevelle Sedan Post had factory 4.56 gears. I will have to dig through my albums to see if I still have the GM docs on the car. The only reason I remember is that I was disappointed that someone had changed the gears to a highway set and I had to install the 4.56 gears as I was trying to get the car back to stock. I would be really surprised that it was that rare an option as most guys that ordered an L78 knew the car would not work without a serious gear. I remember that gear was real popular back in the day and 70% of my friends had that gear. If you had a hi revving SBC you could go for 4.88s but with a stock BBC 4.56 was about perfect. I'll get back to you if I find the paperwork. Ken
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
Ralph Spears (06-09-2023), Ryan1969Chevelle (04-14-2022)