Thread: 1969 ZL1 Vette?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

So I looked at Judski's yellow car's tank sticker (thanks rsinor) and it is way different than the Maher car. As the yellow car is the gold standard and is a known ZL1 since the late 1970s
(Vette Vues Magazine in March 1980), the tank sticker has L88 as the listed RPO FIRST, then down near the bottom is ZL1 ALUMINUM CYLINDER BLOCK. Which is what I found weird about the orange car's sticker: no mention of L88. It should be there as the ZL1 block is simply a substitution INTO the L88 package on a Corvette, replacing the L88s iron block.

My 2 cents, and THIS IS JUST LITTLE OLD ME EXPRESSING AN OPINION, not disparaging the car or John Maher (unless he paid for fake docs then that's fraud), but even if I had the money to have Kevin McKay restore a Corvette for me - and that must be astronomical $$ - it would NOT be the Maher car. There's just owner oral history there, and that's not enough. I don't trust the docs on the Orange car, now, as far as I could throw them.

Vette Vues March 1980 picture of tank sticker for yellow ZL1 Coupe, compare to Maher car tank sticker I posted earlier.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tracker1; 12-30-2018 at 04:00 PM.