View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 02:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

When I was first contacted about a trans and shifter for Norcam's 1969 Z-28, he asked about an OEM Muncie with 660 correct casting # Muncie and an OEM 3138 Hurst shifter but because the original motor was nowhere to be found "I don't need a concours restored shifter just a 3138 body and all the correct rods, levers and mounting hardware." And he wanted the shifter arms drilled out to use Hurst bushings and clips.

So I quoted him $2600 for the trans and he wanted a deal on the shifter so instead of $1200 for the shifter I told him $1000 for the shifter.

A week later he calls and said he decided to get an Auto Gear 4-speed form Jeff at Midwest Muncie. But he still needed a shifter so because I wasn't selling him the trans we came to an $1100 plus shipping price. Note that a complete concours shifter goes for $1400 plus shipping. But he didn't want a concours shifter because he's going to drive the car and he wanted a nice chrome handle that looks and is correct.

On occasion I get requests for just what a sold Norcam that usually sells for $1200 plus shipping. But since he's a Yenko member I discounted it.

I did email Norcam about the shipping and he was ok with me driving up to Midwest Muncie to ship everything together. As it turns out the crate was too small so the shifter had to be shipped separately, but no one contacted me about this. He was going to have to pay someone to ship it anyway. It would have saved him money if everything would have shipped in one box.

I did get an email form Norcam on October 6th about this very subject, after he had the shifter for at least 10 days. He never had a problem calling me before but didn't call me this time. Why didn't Norcam call or email me about any problem when he first received the shifter on September 25th?

As far as the inconsistent finishing on the rods and tabs, sometimes the phosphate takes to different rods differently (alloy and heat treat). I've had NOS rods when the phosphate didn't match. All the hardware is factory correct.

Norcam never "told me for $1100 he expected a concours grade shifter". If he has I would have quoted him the price for a concours grade shifter.

To put this to rest, I'm wiling to buy back the shifter, rods, mounting plate (everything I sold him), but this offer is only good until October 30th. By October 30th I need to receive this shifter and 100% of all the parts that were shipped to him undamaged. Once received I will send him a check for $1200.

Thanks...Crash