View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Well, this sux. So much for my 502...

Things seem to be working out well with this. The only thing I'll have to buy is a new intake. I think I'm in pretty good shape now. After getting a quote of about $850 for custom pistons, I said forget that. I would definitely bore it .010" over to 4.31" and use 496ci off the shelf pistons before I did that, but I'm not doing either.
I've got everything locked down now and I'm glad I kept my patience and waited. Not an easy thing for me to do... The 502 heads I'm getting are the factory 502ci 934 heads. They will be gone through, set up and milled by a machine shop before I get them in a few days which I don't have to pay for. 2.19/1.88 valves and I'll have them cut down to 108cc. I thought that was a pretty good even number and it'll give me decent compression.
Along with the heads I'll be receiving the full Lunati cam kit with new rollers, and springs that will get installed and set up by the machine shop. A new double roller timing set comes with the kit also.
Here are the cam specs as recommended by Lunati:

Kit #:20110713LK

292/300
241/[email protected]
.625/.625
110 LSA

I took all my specs and punched them into a compression calculator and came up with 9.8:1 which I'm plenty happy about as long as there will be enough piston to valve clearance. I can't imagine there won't be at 9.8:1 and .011" piston to deck height. The cam is pretty high lift, so I'll have to measure it when I get it in there. I hate having to wait for that measurement. What if taking .050" off the head is too much? I'd have to get a different cam...
Now the question will be, will it fit under my hood or will I have to cut open my spare flat hood? I hope I can get it to squeeze under my stock hood. I think it will. It should only end up ~5/8" higher than my stock 396.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66