View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 06:42 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

I have owned a few BMWs over the years including a couple E30's, an E28, and currently an E60. I ABSOLUTELY advise against the use of an N62 (4.5L V-8) from the 2000's. I have a 2004 545i that has been a nightmare. The cooling system has a design flaw that causes leakage (massive leakage) due to a cheap plastic coolant pipe that is located in the front of the engine that goes into the lifter valley. There is a fix for this which entails putting in an aluminum sleeve that has had good lasting results and that I'm going to do once I get back home from up north, but honestly, in a car like that I highly doubt you'd want to use an engine with that design. This fix is a DIY $250 but the dealer fix is $2500+. It also has a design flaw where oil leaks out of the alternator bracket gasket, which mine has and that I'm planning on fixing when I do the other fix. Other issues with this engine include valve cover gasket leaks, timing cover leaks, VANOS solenoid o-ring leaks and upper timing cover gasket leak.
See what I mean? Run away, fast and far from the N62.
John 10:30